Mr. Saturn sprite Site Info: Mother 3 Fan Translation: Unified!

sprite reidman

Do it Yourself Devotion Announcement Banner

Before you get too excited: the translation is not done. Sorry! This announcement will cover some good and bad things, but in the end, what's happening is a very good thing for the translation project.

Most of you probably know about our Do It Yourself Devotion announcement in which we declared that we had begun work on our own translation of Mother 3. Most of you probably also realize that a team at Mother3.org was working on the same thing (and had been, since the game was released).

Screenshot from MOTHER 3

Although we started our own separate team for a lot of reasons, the Mother3.org team has gone through a lot of changes recently. And so, I'm proud to announce that our team (Gideon of Aeon Genesis, demi of Neo Demiforce, and Tomato) has joined forces with Jeffman, sblur, and Doctor Fedora (glescoe) to form a new, unified translation team :D

This new team isn't related to Mother3.org, but at the same time its not the 'Starmen.Net Translation' either. It's simply the Mother 3 Fan Translation -- a group of hackers and translators who love EarthBound and are willing to step in where Nintendo has continuously failed its fans.

The not-so-good news is that the translation isn't nearly as far along as many people seem to believe. sblur has made good progress on the hacking, and many of the 'small things' like item names, descriptions, menus, etc. have been carefully translated by Doctor Fedora. Unfortunately, even with our combined translations, we still haven't made huge amounts of progress on the meat of the translation -- the game dialogue.

Screenshot from MOTHER 3

We're hoping that this announcement will be a turning point for the project, and that this new team will be able to collaborate and challenge each other to get the work done as quickly and accurately as possible. It will be nice to have one unified translation sometime soon, rather than two different translations in the year 20X6 ;)

As far as news/updates go, we're going to be 'opening up' a lot more and probably posting an occasional screenshot or progress indicator (kinda like sblur and Jeffman have been doing recently), although the amount and nature of information posted will be up to the team. For the time being, all updates will happen here on Starmen.Net. We'll have a small site dedicated to the translation soon.

To help fend off the huge wall of people whose only concern is playing a completed translation, ROFISH helped me throw together a quick mailing list. Drop your name in this hat and you'll get one email when the translation is done. After that you'll never get another email again, and your email will not be given to anyone else.

Mach Pizza Man sprite Email me when the Mother 3 Translation is done!

While we're on the subject, I'd also like to make one thing very clear: our team has agreed that this translation project will come to a full stop if/when we hear that Nintendo has chosen to pursue an official translation of the game. Our only goal is to get MOTHER 3 in the hands of the fans.

M to the A to the A-D-V

\m/ >_< \m/

• donor5
    • fanvatar2
    Really? Interesting.

sprite AsbestosBlatant

I am pumped for this, very rockin' news.

Even if you guys aren't far, you have progress, which is what counts.

Kevin

• donor5
      • tofu
      • nerd
      • poe
      • fanvatar1
      • rcstaff
      • Who Arted 7 Wins
      • SMCon 2011
      Here's to awesomeness.

Psionic Brawler

• donor5
      • Fanart of the Week
      • fanvatar3
      • foppy
      Im really happy both translation teams have combined forces. That was a very smart move.

I was definently loathing the idea of two different translations.

sprite CoolHandTim

• hardtrivia1
      • ayumi
      • fangamerHCP
      • EarthBound Central
      Maybe the added mother3.org folks will actually do some work now?

sprite Katon

Space Waifu

• artspot
      • plo
      • donor2
      • rc5
      • rcquality
      • poe
      • ch2
      • Who Arted 7 Wins
      Good move.

Now watch Nintendo release the game.

Lion Rocker

• donor2
      • fanvatar1
      • starmansuper
      • EarthBound Central
      • fangamerHCP
      • mafia
      • Secondwolf
      Katon wrote on Tue, 03 July 2007 22:18
      Good move.

Now watch Nintendo release the game.

You say that as thought it's a bad thing. Sad
      <roxy> not everyone can be a hispanic/asian/dyke transformer

sprite Jean

• donor2
      • Fanart of the Week
      • Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
      • hfdecay09
      I'm really, really confused as to what that means for mother3.org. Is that translation scrapped then? They seem so far along.

sprite E-102 Gamma

• donor2
      This kind of came out of nowhere but is the right move in my opinion. There should now be no doubt in anyones minds that this translation will be of the highest quality with so many talented people working on this project.

GOOD LUCK and THANK YOU!

Penguinguy

Weirdo Beardo

• donor4
      Wasn't mother3.org nearly finished?...

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
      • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
      • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
      • !Merch Museum
      That's just it though... they WEREN'T close to being finished, not by a long shot. Most of their work was drenched in drama and had to be scrapped because of poor quality. And since both me and Dr. Fedora are suddenly busier than we expected, we decided to join forces.

YOU CALLIN ME CRAZY!? oh wai..

• donor4
      • plo
      • blanko
      • fangamerHCP
      • EarthBound Central
      • Reid is a Jinjo
      :D
      why is life so unfair. Thy hatred is unjust, you jest? “why” “GNAUT” can i vote for all YE

sprite G.Wicks

• donor2
      "...our team (Gideon of Aeon Genesis, demi of Neo Demiforce, and Tomato) has joined forces with Jeffman, sblur, and Doctor Fedora (glescoe) to form a new, unified translation team. This new team isn't related to Mother3.org, but at the same time its not the 'Starmen.Net Translation' either."

so what does this mean... that people from A) starmen.net's translation are getting together with people from B) Mother3.org's translation to make C) a third translation? Wouldn't it be easier to combine both and make one? And does this also mean that when people from A are done with their part of C and B are done with their part of C that A and B will go back to their respective translations?!?! WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO BE PART OF TWO SEPARATE TRANSLATIONS? Doesn't that mean that C will be a mix between A and B? Why don't you just call C) "the starmen3dotorgnet's translation"? As usual with the earthbound community, I have no idea what's going on.

My fellow starmen, you have all gone MAD.

.....and I love you.
      Assumptions are the termites of relationships.
      ~Henry Winkler

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
      • !Merch Museum
      Quick summary: we and most of their members have joined forces. There will only be one translation. We are combining our work and talent. There won't be three teams and three projects. There's now just one team and one project.

EDIT: In more precise terms, at least for the translation (dunno about hacking since I'm not a hacker on the project) what Dr. Fedora has translated and what I have translated are going to be combined. And then we're going to continue from there.

YOU CALLIN ME CRAZY!? oh wai..

• donor4
      • plo
      • blanko
      • fangamerHCP
      • EarthBound Central
      • Reid is a Jinjo
      Dudes, I'm pretty sure that there just taking what they had on both sides, revising for quality then just working together on a general Mother 3 fan translation. not a mother3.org translation, not a sm.net translation. just a Mother 3 fan translation : UNIFIED EDITION

EDIT: Man, the ninja translator himself beat me to it.
      why is life so unfair. Thy hatred is unjust, you jest? “why” “GNAUT” can i vote for all YE

sprite G.Wicks

• donor2
      Oh. Thanks. My head was about to 'splode. I just read the explanation at mother3.org and they put it pretty clearly too.

Overall I think this will make an English translation of Mother 3 come out way faster than if they were separated.

....and I still love you all.
      Assumptions are the termites of relationships.
      ~Henry Winkler

http://poocast.fobby.net/Avatars/abjure.png

Last one alive lock the door.

• donor2
      • fangamerHCP
      • EarthBound Central
      I eagerly wait the awesomeness that is this translation. Cool
      When on your way out
      Be sure that you say goodbye
      Then lock the door tight.

I had to fight 128 JeffMans to get the Video Relaxant

THE BIG J

• dragon
      • donor5
      • pkhack
      • nerd
      • artistorm
      • poe
      • walkthrough
      • hax
      • boxes
      • Jeffman's Crappy Mach Pizza
      • The world is quiet here
      All of the work that Doctor Fedora (formerly glescoe) did on the Mother3.org translation will be carried over to the new team.
      3DS: 3539-9580-4717

thickfreakness

I solve practical problems!

• Fanart of the Week
      • fanvatar3
      • fangamerHCW
      • artspot
      wait, when you say put your name in the mailing list, do you mean your email address or your Starmen.net username?
      hello yes this is dog

thickfreakness

I solve practical problems!

• Fanart of the Week
      • fanvatar3
      • fangamerHCW
      • artspot
      gratzi!
      hello yes this is dog

KRUUUUUUS!

This is awesome, I really hope to hear more. Good luck, guys. BOING
        INCOMING…

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
        • !Merch Museum
        Yay the replying thing works again! 50 cheers for sarsie Very Happy

Wasuremono

Ashurbanipal is my homeboy.

• donor4
        • starman
        • fangamerHCP
        • Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
        • foppy
        • Invisiguy
        I'd guess the transition's been a lot of work, and I suspect there'll be a lot of (understandable) disappointment that the mother3.org translation was not as close to done as it seemed, but it's fabulous news to hear about a united translation project. Best of luck, and godspeed!

sprite Xero7

(aka ø7)

• donor2
        unexpected, but awesome news nonetheless

whatever will happen to mother3.orgs forum?

sprite samtron

Super Saminator

• donor4
        man, that is such fantastic news. I'm so glad to hear about this, because it's very important that the people working on it work together, that every Mother fan out there contribute in some way, some how, to get this game in the hands of it's well deserved fans.
        You guys are my heroes. Seriously. SM.net & Mother3.org.
        UNITY!!!!

sprite Coolkalle

Sheeeewweeet! This is going to be awesome! Very Happy
          EB saga fans! Go to merch page and tell reid you want an EB saga DVD! DO IT

sprite TroutYogurt

I think its a great idea that you guys joined forces in making the best translation ever!!!!!!!!!

sprite Rockwell

Then I woke up and it was all a dream.
              SNES/GCN/Wii/GBA/GB games I’m selling
              <falcon24> i want to grow old and bitter and have a lil ranch and sit on the porch with a shotgun and shoot blacks

• I believed in Smash
              • fanvatar4
              This is quite obviously a good thing. It could even be used as propaganda for the EB Siege. "If you won't do it, we'll do it instead!"

Oh, but since Mother 3 is the sequel to EarthBound, try to use only the language that was used in EB and no more than that. I read a Mother 3 story translation on GameFAQs, and it was smattered with the word "****" - I counted 4 instances in the first chapter alone (before the Reconstructed Caribou) and there are likely even more. That means ordinary unoffensive slang and "crap", no being literal and translating every word that doesn't translate into English into "****" or "all-black", okay? We don't want Shadow the Hedgehog 3: Fall of the Pig King WITH HUMANS AND NO HEDGEHOGS.

Edit: The word filter makes the now-censored word seem more harsh than it actually is. The actual word is "d*a*m*n" without asterisks.
              Muffet is best spider.
              Ask me about Lip

sprite Tead

Oh crap. I wasn't really reading right and I submited my email, not my name.

Is this bad?

sprite gguru1

Midna wrote on Wed, 04 July 2007 09:36
                  This is quite obviously a good thing. It could even be used as propaganda for the EB Siege. "If you won't do it, we'll do it instead!"

Oh, but since Mother 3 is the sequel to EarthBound, try to use only the language that was used in EB and no more than that. I read a Mother 3 story translation on GameFAQs, and it was smattered with the word "****" - I counted 4 instances in the first chapter alone (before the Reconstructed Caribou) and there are likely even more. That means ordinary unoffensive slang and "crap", no being literal and translating every word that doesn't translate into English into "****" or "all-black", okay? We don't want Shadow the Hedgehog 3: Fall of the Pig King WITH HUMANS AND NO HEDGEHOGS.

Edit: The word filter makes the now-censored word seem more harsh than it actually is. The actual word is "d*a*m*n" without asterisks.

Excuse me, but unlike Shadow the Hedgehog, which was a pathetic attempt to make the Sonic franchise "edgy" and "cool" by tossing in guns and unnescessary cursing, MOTHER 3 deals with serious themes and realistic human reactions to emotional situations. Do you really think in the situations the characters experienced in Chapter 1 alone would be met with a purely G rated "civil" vocabulary?

The last thing this project intends to do is to pervert and water down Itoi's vision because we think certian words "arent nice". The project is to make Itoi's game accessable to English speakers as close as possible as how he intended it to be experienced, not for us to make it "how we want it".

After all, if the fans (at least in America) got their way, MOTHER 3 would have been nothing but Earthbound with a few new towns added.

CherrieGal

If you wanna find me I'll be out in the sandbox.

• fun
                  • dragon
                  • donor5
                  • artistorm
                  • poe
                  • Fanart of the Week
                  • halloweenff06gold
                  • ch1
                  • starman
                  • artspot
                  • tuben
                  • ghostofstarman
                  • hfdecay09
                  I can't think of anything to say except AWESOME

Psychomax

nice.

• fun
                  • patrick
                  • dragon
                  • donor4
                  • fanvatar1
                  • mafia
                  I leave for a day, and when I come back: THIS!!!
                  Oh wow, I'm so pumped.
                  Thank you for taking the time to read this signature.

This signature loves you.

sprite MobleSprout

• EarthBound Central
                  Some press for you guys: http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2007/07/04/mother-3-fan-translation -progress-update/

Maybe this'll get the ball rolling on the blog networks.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                  • !Merch Museum
                  rofl @ that pic, that's indeed an accurate portrayal Laughing

EDIT: ha oh man people are gonna seriously expect a crazy tomato to be in the game now after that pic Razz

GETS THE PASS

• fun
                  • donor4
                  • starmansuper
                  • fangamerHCW
                  • April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
                  I would prefer if the thing in the last paragraph happened. Complete victory in the form of a cartrige in my hand would be the most satisfying.
                  “Chillin is, like, the gift that keeps on givin’” -Stitches
                  AC Fossil/Music Trade Doc
                  NOA told me my Animal Crossing playing cards are in the mail!!! Yaaaay

sprite MobleSprout

• EarthBound Central
                  Tomato wrote on Wed, 04 July 2007 12:46
                  EDIT: ha oh man people are gonna seriously expect a crazy tomato to be in the game now after that pic Razz

Sorry, Mato. You've gotta be put in spoiler tags from here on out.

sprite Fire Geno

• donor2
                  • fanvatar1
                  • fangamerHCP
                  Hey guys, I need help fighting
                  MAJOR MOTHER 3 SPOILERS

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                  • !Merch Museum
                  Give him the Bottle of Vodka, it's like the Jar of Fly Honey to him Laughing

Psychomax

nice.

• fun
                  • patrick
                  • dragon
                  • donor4
                  • fanvatar1
                  • mafia
                  Wait, if I have AOL e-mail, can I still get the notification?

Penguinguy

Weirdo Beardo

• donor4
                  Blades0fEB wrote on Wed, 04 July 2007 15:10
                  I would prefer if the thing in the last paragraph happened. Complete victory in the form of a cartrige in my hand would be the most satisfying.

It'd be superb if that happened the day after this translation was released. Then we have an official version and an unedited version!

GETS THE PASS

• fun
                  • donor4
                  • starmansuper
                  • fangamerHCW
                  • April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
                  Do you really need it though? You are a regular so you would probably know as soon as or sooner than the people with the e-mail.

EDIT: Posted at same time. This response is in reference to psycomax's response.
                  “Chillin is, like, the gift that keeps on givin’” -Stitches
                  AC Fossil/Music Trade Doc
                  NOA told me my Animal Crossing playing cards are in the mail!!! Yaaaay

Starstorm Trooper

The Last Czarfighter

• hardtrivia1
                  • dragon
                  • donor4
                  • fanvatar1
                  • fangamerHCP
                  • EarthBound Central
                  Eh, if you guys need help proofreading or Americanizing the game text I could lend a hand. I am an English major.

• eb0hack
                  • walkthrough
                  • Logographer
                  • dragon
                  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
                  • fanvatar4
                  This is awesome news. ^_^ That's all I have to say. Razz

sprite ROFISH

[img]test.jpg[/img] !test.jpg!

sprite Xero7

(aka ø7)

• donor2
                    wow some people on the digg comments are *******s Laughing

Psychomax

nice.

• fun
                    • patrick
                    • dragon
                    • donor4
                    • fanvatar1
                    • mafia
                    DIGG said,
                    Mother3.org, Starmen.net team up to finish Mother 3 translation this year

...Did we say that?

M to the A to the A-D-V

\m/ >_< \m/

• donor5
                    • fanvatar2
                    Xero7 wrote on Wed, 04 July 2007 23:51
                    wow some people on the digg comments are *******s Laughing

Yes, they definitely are. I'm RainDrizzleFog on there.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                    • !Merch Museum
                    That article is smelly, I don't remember ever saying "this year" :/

EDIT: Also, to be precise, only parts of m3.org are teaming up with us.