Mr. Saturn sprite MOTHER 3 Menu Patch Bugs

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
  • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
  • !Merch Museum
If you got bugs, post 'em here. I think I already remembered one little thing but mostly it's just cosmetic so oh well.

For those going WTF is this thread, see http://mother3.fobby.net/2007/09/29/very-important-news/

Giovanni

Some Sort of
Deviant Forest-Wizard
???

'Navy SQUEALs', huh.

......I am going to allow this.

Let's see. I just happened to breeze through most of Chapters 7 and 8, and so far nothing's come up. Old save states are all working fine, if there was even any chance of that being an issue with PPF. I'm pleased.

I'm probably going to email you [generally the only way to privately contact you?] about viewing the overall script dump sometime, after I get JeffMan or one of your other less ceaselessly-bombarded subordinates to fill me in on some general details.

Do they mind being called that? 'Subordinates'? Yeah, I imagine they would.

• eb0hack
    • walkthrough
    • Logographer
    • dragon
    • Writing Bootcamp 2011
    • fanvatar4
    I didn't see any bugs...good job. I'm sure it'll look nicer once the variable-width and Orange Kid font is applied.

Are you planning to translate the debug menu, too? Just wondering.

Also, even though this isn't menu-related, why did you call Archat and Entotsu (Chimney) Lou and Bud? I was kinda confused. Are those, like, test/place-holder names or something?

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
    • !Merch Museum
    The debug menu text is all part of the main script, but because of current issues with the main script programming, most of the debug menu stuff crashes the game. (I'm referring to our current translation, not the menu patch, the menu patch doesn't touch the debug menu)

Entotsu and Achatto are a reference to an older Japanese comedy duo Entatsu Achako. Bud and Lou is an homage to Abbot and Costello (a famous old American comedy duo for those younguns out there).

Psychomax

nice.

• fun
    • patrick
    • dragon
    • donor4
    • fanvatar1
    • mafia
    Wow, Tomato, that's detail.

We have an awesome translator.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this signature.

This signature loves you.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
    • !Merch Museum
    I can't take credit for that though, it goes to Dr. Fedora. I *was* planning on using something along those lines myself, so it was a good match.

• eb0hack
    • walkthrough
    • Logographer
    • dragon
    • Writing Bootcamp 2011
    • fanvatar4
    Oh, thanks.

*clears confusion*

Giovanni

Some Sort of
    Deviant Forest-Wizard
    ???

I saw that change in the translation files notstarmen posted, so I was confused for just a minute there. Hope it wasn't also Fedora that suggested renaming Yoshi-Koshi / Nice-Hips to something else for the sake of sounding more 'waitressie'.

Reveal Spoiler

Ah, Mato's new One Piece is starting right now everyone / just PsychoMax. Vastly less irritating intro song, although Reid might be disappointed.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
      • !Merch Museum
      Most of the stuff on that notstarman or whatever site are actually pretty horribly translated, to the point of embarrassment. Doseisan = Mr. Clay? Shimmy Zmizz = Wet T-Shirt? Salmane? Nowhere Tower? Sleep Lump instead of Smoke Bomb? I could go on and on, but even before the merger m3.org was going to toss out that junk. We've redone all that from scratch so no worries. But Dr. Fedora did have lots of interesting names for things, as you saw in the tiny patch I made.

EDIT: As for the Tamekichi/Umemaro thing, the script actually has different lines for each case, so there are duplicate lines. I think I changed the data it uses to check against what you name them though, and since you can't name Duster Tamekichi (it's too long) and you can't name Kumatora Yoshikoshi, the issue shouldn't even be a problem in this patch.

• eb0hack
      • walkthrough
      • Logographer
      • dragon
      • Writing Bootcamp 2011
      • fanvatar4
      What about Kumatora's name? You can't fit her name in.

What are you guys gonna do about that? 7-letter name hack? Americanized name?

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
      • !Merch Museum
      Since all text is going from 16 bit to 8 bit, that means we'll be able to have twice as long names. The issue becomes whether or not really long names with wide characters will fit inside all windows. Most likely there'll be enough for her name though.

• eb0hack
      • walkthrough
      • Logographer
      • dragon
      • Writing Bootcamp 2011
      • fanvatar4
      Oh, OK.

GBA hacking sounds confusing. O.o

zushiba
      Friezardzsdfegadf

• sexybeamgold
      • fun
      • dragon
      • pkhack
      I JUST realized how similar the EB fighting engine is to the Pokemon games...
      -I hate signatures.

sprite Twili

• ghostofstarman
      • foppy
      • mafia
      People who don't know about the Mother Series' who play the games say they are a copy of Pokemon. Even though Mother was released several years before Pokemon.
      “I am fully charged” is the mating call of the crit-rocket.

KingDarian

Superfamicomaniac

• fun
      • ayumi
      • dragon
      • boxes
      • eb0hack
      • donor5
      • fangamerHCP
      • resub
      • artistorm
      • poe
      • walkthrough
      • EarthBound Central
      • Game Swag
      • THE RAGE
      • fanvatar4
      • SMCon 2011
      • !Merch Museum
      • !!MOTHER3 Siege
      We should just have a big diagram posted on the front page of the site with a big arrow pointing from the APE, Inc. logo to the CREATURES, Inc. logo.

• Logographer
      • fangamerHCW
      • poe
      • fanvatar3
      • dragon
      • Game Swag
      Well, I gave Kumatora cheese at one point, and a string of overlapping characters appeared in the message box when it usually says "So-and-so loves cheese!". But that's the only bug I've come across, and it didn't affect anything else.

sprite P. Soup

• artspot
      • fangamerHCP
      • poe
      • hfdecay09
      • dragon
      Tomato wrote on Sat, 29 September 2007 01:55
      If you got bugs, post 'em here. I think I already remembered one little thing but mostly it's just cosmetic so oh well.

For those going WTF is this thread, see http://mother3.fobby.net/2007/09/29/very-important-news/

Wow even though this isn't a finished patch good job! I really doubt though that Super Smash bros Brawl would spoil Mother 3. Has it ever spoiled a game before?

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
      • !Merch Museum
      Quick examples people have brought up are the ending to Majora's Mask and the Zelda/Sheik thing. Majora's Mask had only been out a year or a year and a half.

sprite Zed Five

Okay, this thing isn't letting me save for some reason. I'm talking to the Save Frog, but it keeps telling me "Can't save".

Do I haaaave to use savestates? D:

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
        • !Merch Museum
        That's either an emulation or flash cart issue. You can apparently fix it easily enough with a hex editor. I don't know anything about this problem, so consult this and other related links for more info:

http://starmen.net/forum/?t=msg&th=38630

All I know is that it supposedly has something to do with the SRAM size settings, which you might be able to change in your emulator settings.

EDIT: Also, this might be relevant, I dunno: http://mother3.fobby.net/2007/09/29/very-important-news/#comment-958

sprite alezicarus

• fangamerHCP
        • dragon
        • Wess Butt
        I found one bug! I was feeding boney Cheese and when it is supposed to say Bonney hates cheese i found a whole bunch of messed up text, but after I pressed A it went back to normal
        The Red Squirtle | Twitter Warning! I’m not that interesting

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
        • !Merch Museum
        Did it say he hates cheese, then lots of crazy text, or was it just 100% crazy text?

sprite WastelandCoyote

Jocknerd

• Aces
        • SMCon 2011
        • April Fool's 2012 15-sigs
        • Chompy
        • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
        • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
        • The Sparkles
        • Radio PSI - 1 year
        • I believed in Smash
        • Temmie
        • Mafia MVP
        Dogs hate cheese? This is news to me.
        Baseball sure is a funny game.

sprite alezicarus

• fangamerHCP
        • dragon
        • Wess Butt
        i'll get a picture, hold on

Attachments:

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
        • !Merch Museum
        Ah, I see. I didn't put a line break in there, so the line goes too long and causes that. There's like one or two other lines that do that too. Oh well. Dunno if I'm gonna update the patch or not, not sure if it's worth it.

sprite alezicarus

• fangamerHCP
        • dragon
        • Wess Butt
        it only happend to me in chapter 5 after that it was normal....except cheese was a little cut off when it said"Bonney hates cheese"

Lion Rocker

• donor2
        • fanvatar1
        • starmansuper
        • EarthBound Central
        • fangamerHCP
        • mafia
        • Secondwolf
        Ha, I love that little detail about the names. Little touches like that really make a game cool.

I probably won't play this patch, but I just want to thank you guys for all the hard work you've been putting into it. It's great knowing that more and more people will be able to experience this wonderful game.

Psychomax wrote on Sat, 29 September 2007 19:37
        Wow, Tomato, that's detail.

We have an awesome translator.

I see what you did there, Max :o
        <roxy> not everyone can be a hispanic/asian/dyke transformer

EBsessor

Devotee

• dragon
        • boxes
        • donor5
        • walkthrough
        • starmansuper
        • fangamerHCP
        • foppy
        • dabr
        I personally like "Bearbeard" a lot more than "Neckbeard" for the big, bearded guy's name. "Bearbeard" is a play on words, while "Neckbeard" is just what it is. "Bearbeard" is much more Itoi's style than "Neckbeard", and I think his name should remain that way in the patch.
        I put a bun in the oven and out came Giygas.

Psychomax

nice.

• fun
        • patrick
        • dragon
        • donor4
        • fanvatar1
        • mafia
        Lion Rocker wrote on Sat, 17 November 2007 23:27
        I see what you did there, Max Surprised

Finally SOMEONE has!
        Thank you for taking the time to read this signature.

This signature loves you.

sprite Roan

Here are the naming glitches (spoilers in the pictures.)
          Mato, what is this guy saying anyway?

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
          • !Merch Museum
          I remember EBSessor had the same problems you do. It either turned out his clean ROM wasn't clean, or that it was a bad ROM dump. He found the original Japanese ROM elsewhere and tried it again and it worked after that. I can only suggest you try the same.

EDIT: As for what he's saying, it takes some explaining. Early in the game, you get to name yourself. In Japanese, they tell you to write your name. Later in the game, in the factory, they ask you to write your name as it would be spelled using the English alphabet. MOTHER 2 did this same thing. So the guy in the factory is saying, "So <name2> is how you read <name1>, then?"

For the translation, I have the first place ask you your name, and the second place ask you your nickname.

sprite Roan

OK, I thought something extremely strange was going on, that or it was some sort of spellcheck based on your previous input for a name. Why does he ask that anyway? (Spoiler tab)

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
            • !Merch Museum
            I dunno, you'd wanna ask Itoi why. It's a lot like EB, the player's name shows up during parts of the game.