Mr. Saturn sprite EB Siege: PK Siege Japan Update

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
  • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
  • !Merch Museum
It's been a while since we talked about any Siege stuff, but here's an update on the PK Siege Japan side of things!

First off -- and probably the coolest news in this post -- is that Starmen.Net and the EarthBound Anthology made it into the Japanese gaming magazine, Nintendo Dream. For those who don't know, Nintendo Dream is like the biggest and happiest Nintendo gaming magazine in Japan. Seriously, just look at all this stuff they have, it's the holy grail of awesomeness.

Anyway, our good friend Jason at the King of Games managed this, so he gets +500 awesome points! BTW, if you'd like to have your own copy of this magazine, you can get it online here, though maybe import shops might be alittle cheaper, the shipping at Amazon Japan is deadly now :(

Anyway, on to the magazine article! Click the pic below for a small scan of it.

(Thanks to ShadowX for the scan!) A translation of the Starmen.Net-related stuff is as follows.

MOTHER's Cradle is back and blasts off with a special edition of this column... this time to introduce the King of Games MOTHER 3 T-Shirts and the passionate feelings that have arrived from overseas like a PK Fire!

Super Awesome Goods Arrived from Overseas Fan Site Starman.net

One day, an unusual package arrived at the desk of this Pigmask MOTHER staffer. Checking it revealed a humongous amount of MOTHER goods inside! This was none other than a present from Starman.net, an overseas fan site. Have a good look at these wonderful, numerous goods, which include a (handmade) compilation of tons of lovingly-drawn pictures, a small Mr. Saturn figure (also handmade), and more!

(caption 1) The super-awesome anthology book is absolutely packed with passionate illustrations drawn by all the fans across the ocean. It's a real pity that we can't print it here due to magazine-related circumstances!

(caption 2) They even made MOTHER music remix CDs and an independently-made video DVD of live-action MOTHER 2!

(caption 3) The nice guys from Starman.net who gave us these wonderful presents

Here's a comment from Jason, a supporter from Sarugakucho:

"Upon seeing the presents everyone from Starman.net made, I could really feel their passionate hearts, so I brought one of the gifts to MOTHER's Cradle to try to spread the good word. MOTHER 3 hasn't been released overseas... so if you could, please "pray" so that people overseas can someday play MOTHER 3 too (laugh)."

Jason works at the company Sarugakucho, which works to make in-development games more fun through various means. He's on very close terms with Starman.net, and was the person who set up everything for this present.

Yeah, the Nintendo Dream guys screwed up our URL. Ugh. Supposedly, in the following issue, they posted a correction/apology, but still :(

More after this jump!

Anyway, here's a recap of what's gone on, if you haven't been following the original PK Siege Japan thread.

Shigesato Itoi had been invited to a King of Games event in celebration of the new MOTHER 1+2 and MOTHER 3 shirts, as had Hirokazu Tanaka. Tanaka was one of our recipients, and he was pretty awed and probably surprised when he got his stuff. Lot of the usual Japanese "Eeeehh?!" I'm told :P Sadly, on that same day, Itoi mentioned on his site about how he had had a really exhausting week and was going to take it easy at home that weekend. So he didn't attend :( We have some backup plans, one of which was the Nintendo Dream article, though for some reason the writer or the editor left out the most important part. The writer's idea was that he'd talk about us in the first article and mention how there's a big present waiting for Itoi too, and then the next issue would have an article where they actually go and give Itoi his gift. But oh well. There are still a few more backup plans though, and if we're REALLY lucky, we might even get a video of him accepting his gift box. And if all else fails, we'll just mail the thing to his office and hope his staff doesn't think it's a bomb ;) For more details, see the original thread.

Anyway, back to the KoG event. Apparently, they set up a table and put the figurines and anthologies for all to see, as well as copies of my letter to all the recipients. An estimated 120 people attended, many (most?) in the gaming business, so that's pretty sweet. Also, they played the EarthBound Memory Album DVD, and I hear they even left it playing as Tanaka did a little music show of his own. How I wish I had been there.

Actually, the guy who wrote the Nintendo Dream article had attended the event, and Nintendo Dream was to be a future recipient, so after some decision-making, we let him have Miyamoto's box so he could write the article. Also, a bunch of cool people there were like, "OMG I want some stuff!" so Meeellla and reid and I (mostly them) worked hard finishing up the rest of the packages. It's been uhh quite a while, but I need to send these last packages out sometime soon. We're also sending a replacement one for Miyamoto. He and Iwata will probably get their stuff sometime, but this is businessy stuff, so you gotta do things through the proper channels, so it takes time.

Oh yeah, I think there's a *very* slight chance we might get to see pics and/or videos from the event, but probably only if lots of people's faces are blurred out/covered up or something. And if permission is given. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

In any case, let's pray that one of our backup plans for Itoi works. I'd rather not have to mail it to his office, that'd go over as well as tying the package to a brick and throwing it through his window. So pray! Pray with all your might! And bow down to the awesomeness that is the King of Games and Jason-san! But most of all, bow down to yourself if you're a crazy EarthBound fan who's helped the world know about our craziness!

ShadowX

• fun
  • patrick
  • ayumi
  • dragon
  • donor5
  • nerd
  • resub
  • artistorm
  • poe
  • ruby
  • Weezer
  • DINO RAMPAGE!
  • mafia
  • Game Swag
  • SMCon 2011
  • !Merch Museum
Totally awesome.

sprite Chasetown84

I am not a peanut!

I hope Itoi gets it soon. (But might he know about the stuff if he read the article?)
    This space for rent

sprite Katon

Space Waifu

• artspot
    • plo
    • donor2
    • rc5
    • rcquality
    • poe
    • ch2
    • Who Arted 7 Wins
    AWESOME news! I was GOING to say "we should buy up 'starman.net' and redirect it", but it seems it's already a site. Baaaah.

EBsessor

Devotee

• dragon
    • boxes
    • donor5
    • walkthrough
    • starmansuper
    • fangamerHCP
    • foppy
    • dabr
    <3

If you use up your Lumpia, you can always get another one.  That's what &amp;amp;quot;unlimited&amp;amp;quot; means.

It’s pronounced “LOOM-pee-ah”

• fun
    • poe
    • fanvatar3
    • ff
    • rclegend
    • ruby
    • starmansuper
    • fangamerHCW
    • Logographer
    • foppy
    It's extremely exciting and fulfilling knowing that important gaming people in Japan have actually seen all of our hard work. It makes me really glad I became a part of this awesome community. Smile

I really hope Itoi gets his package soon!
    lum·pi·a (lūmˈpiaˌ) n. A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

sprite reidman

Superkudos to Jason, Tomato, and ShadowX for all their work on this project!!

sprite elemental101

• donor1
      • Invisiguy
      This has got to be the best thing ever!!! Laughing I cant wait to see what happens when Miyamoto gets his package. Fingers crossed.

sprite motivatedslacker

Looks like one giant leap for Starmen.net. Well done!
        1.21 GIGAWATTS!?!

Psychomax

nice.

• fun
        • patrick
        • dragon
        • donor4
        • fanvatar1
        • mafia
        oh man, I knew this would have to be something cool! Another magazine for reidman & co., and another giant leap for international relations!

This website is the third to come up on Google Japan when you type in "starman.net," so I wouldn't worry too much about them not being able to find it. Still kind of annoying, though. Razz
        Thank you for taking the time to read this signature.

This signature loves you.

sprite Twili

• ghostofstarman
        • foppy
        • mafia
        'Completely and totally awesome'.
        They are the only words to describe everything you've all accomplished.
        Tomato, reidman, ShadowX, everyone.

sprite forte.exe

Psychomax wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 00:01
          oh man, I knew this would have to be something cool! Another magazine for reidman & co., and another giant leap for international relations!

This website is the third to come up on Google Japan when you type in "starman.net," so I wouldn't worry too much about them not being able to find it. Still kind of annoying, though. Razz

I was going to post something on the lines of that once i saw this. Oh well good work.

YOU CALLIN ME CRAZY!? oh wai..

• donor4
          • plo
          • blanko
          • fangamerHCP
          • EarthBound Central
          • Reid is a Jinjo
          Good news everyone! The packages are making there way, through planet express

sprite Fire Geno

• donor2
          • fanvatar1
          • fangamerHCP
          It's only a matter of time before Itoi gets it!

I’m freaking out a little!
          [freaking out a lot]

• artspot
          • EarthBound Central
          • Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
          • fangamerHCP
          • Game Swag
          • EBFF 2011 Submitter
          • Ponsesy Participation
          • April Fool's 2012 5-sigs
          • April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
          • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
          • Writing Bootcamp '12
          • The Sparkles
          • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2012 Single Participation
          • donor5
          • Reid is a Jinjo
          • BUG
          • Pink DK
          • !Camp Fangamer 2016 Merchboy
          • !Franklin Badge Gold
          This is really exciting! Great work, everyone!

Archon

I'm saying stuff on the internet!

• donor5
          • tofu
          • poe
          This is really awesome. Shame about the URL but still awesome.
          Lufia

sprite WastelandCoyote

Jocknerd

• Aces
          • SMCon 2011
          • April Fool's 2012 15-sigs
          • Chompy
          • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
          • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
          • The Sparkles
          • Radio PSI - 1 year
          • I believed in Smash
          • Temmie
          • Mafia MVP
          The funny thing is, it seems to be some sort of Czech bookstore, so people might think there's a bunch of Europeans going crazy for EB. That's kind of awesome.
          Baseball sure is a funny game.

sprite Crav

• artistorm
          • mafia
          • dragon
          Oh! Oh!
          If it's really just as bad as tying it to a brick and throwing it through his window, can we do that instead?

We could send somebody over to be the brick thrower.

sprite Fire Geno

• donor2
          • fanvatar1
          • fangamerHCP
          Itoi is a ninja trained by Chuck Norris.
          I would think that everyone knew that!

sprite Unclever title

Fire Geno wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 18:33
            Itoi is a ninja trained by Chuck Norris.
            I would think that everyone knew that!

True but you're clearly underestimating our stalking abilities, like was said earlier, it's only a matter of time...

Good thing we're not going after Chuck Norris.
            Don’t ever not overthink it. ~ Gabriel Rodriguez

Boooooo LitoNico

• Fanart of the Week
            • fangamerHCW
            • ghostofstarman
            • foppy
            • artspot
            • Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
            • Invisiguy
            • ebff-10-awesome
            This is really awesome. I guess I underestimated Tomato's 'cool news'. Smile

I can now appreciate the wait- and still can't wait to see Mr. Itoi's reaction to this incredible effort.
            @ttto_ok on twitter for draws

Psionic Brawler

• donor5
            • Fanart of the Week
            • fanvatar3
            • foppy
            Can someone go a bit more in depth about why its so rude to give the package to him directly? I understand its a different culture but I would appreciate knowing what exactly does a gift given directly imply to the recipient and how something like that would look like to his peers?

sprite PK Zem

Horray.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
              • !Merch Museum
              Psionic Brawler wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 22:20
              Can someone go a bit more in depth about why its so rude to give the package to him directly? I understand its a different culture but I would appreciate knowing what exactly does a gift given directly imply to the recipient and how something like that would look like to his peers?

It's not so much rude as it is breaking unwritten societal rules. I don't think he'd be offended, but it'd be embarrassing for the giver and possibly make him/his company look bad. It's really hard to explain and it's just something you learn after interacting with people there, so I don't know of any books or sites or anything to explain in more detail. If we knew someone who knew Itoi very well, then it'd be no problem, but since Jason/KoG only know him very barely (they only briefly met him once years ago; they interacted with him via intermediaries every other time, I think), things need to be done the proper way.

I dunno. Anyone else wanna try to explain better than me?

sprite Coolkalle

Wait. Starman.net? Not Starmen.net?
                EB saga fans! Go to merch page and tell reid you want an EB saga DVD! DO IT

Psionic Brawler

• donor5
                • Fanart of the Week
                • fanvatar3
                • foppy
                Tomato wrote on Sat, 12 January 2008 00:21

It's not so much rude as it is breaking unwritten societal rules. I don't think he'd be offended, but it'd be embarrassing for the giver and possibly make him/his company look bad. It's really hard to explain and it's just something you learn after interacting with people there, so I don't know of any books or sites or anything to explain in more detail. If we knew someone who knew Itoi very well, then it'd be no problem, but since Jason/KoG only know him very barely (they only briefly met him once years ago; they interacted with him via intermediaries every other time, I think), things need to be done the proper way.

I dunno. Anyone else wanna try to explain better than me?

That sorta makes sense. Its like that in the states also. You cant just send Angelina Jolie a gift randomly either.

I dont get how all these media outlets in Japan have been given this stuff and its OK for them to receive it but not the man who inspired the stuff to begin with.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                • !Merch Museum
                Nintendo Dream is the only Japanese media outlet that's gotten stuff -- we lucked out because their crazed MOTHER fan attended the event. The original plan for ND was that we were going to have to dig up an address and cross our fingers and hope it gets there. So things worked out nicely. That KoG event was the perfect time and place to give people their stuff, so that's why it's such a shame Itoi didn't attend.

But yeah, I guess non-Japanese media will gladly receive anything without any care in the world, huh?