Mr. Saturn sprite Missing / Hidden Music and Sound Effects

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
  • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
  • !Merch Museum
We all know about all the missing enemies and whatnot, but I was wondering what sort of music is hiding in the game. Maybe there's music in the ROM that never got used, like the secret track in EarthBound? So I did some quick looking. There are literally about 2000 entries to go through, and checking each one is a real pain at the moment, so I only went through a couple dozen. Found some neat stuff, nonetheless.

Some of this stuff probably IS used in the game -- I might've just forgotten. I made sure to check that none of this was in the sound player though, so maybe anything that seems familiar is just an alternate version.

This sounds train-ish. (Entry #81) I don't use the trains much, but this somehow sounds different at the beginning. This isn't in the sound player though.

Barren Factory (Entry #165) This isn't missing or anything, it's just a song most people won't hear. It's played when you go back to the factory long after it's shut down.

Underwater Morning (Entry #157) I haven't been to the underwater place in a while, so maybe this is used, but if not, this is pretty neat.

Giygas-y sounding sounds (Entry #202) This may be from something like Drago lurching around, I dunno. But it really struck me as something that sounds like Giygas' breathing or whatever when you're walking on his intestine-guts at the end of EB.

-----------------

Like I said, there are honestly about 2000 entries to go through, and they take a while to check each one. If you're interested (and a hacker with basic skills) then you can edit the 2-byte number at address D2446 to change the battle music for Mr. Batty. Of course, it's important to note that if you're using a hex editor, you need to know hexadecimal format when typing in the number.

Here are all the entries that are used by the sound player. Everything that's NOT on this list is stuff that we should go through and see what there is.

I'm not good at writing Windows apps anymore, so maybe someone like Jeffman or Mr. Accident or someone with powers can write a quick little app where you just type in the number and it modifies the ROM for you. That way more people can help out. No way I can do 2000 entries on my own.

sprite DronePod

Speaking of the sound in M3, i a question...What are the songs that have names like... "<SONG NAME> (_______'s reccomendation)" for?
    Don’t really use this account anymore

sprite psirocker

Thats definitely Giygas o_o

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
      • !Merch Museum
      poopskin wrote on Fri, 01 February 2008 22:29
      Speaking of the sound in M3, i a question...What are the songs that have names like... "<SONG NAME> (_______'s reccomendation)" for?

Those songs are from the jukebox in the cafe. If you'll recall, all those people are found at the cafe at one point or another.

sprite DronePod

Oh, i was waiting for the translation to come out before i play (so i at least have the foggiest idea what's going on at that specific point), so i don't remember Neutral

sprite Sonden

Tomato wrote on Fri, 01 February 2008 21:16

Giygas-y sounding sounds (Entry #202) This may be from something like Drago lurching around, I dunno. But it really struck me as something that sounds like Giygas' breathing or whatever when you're walking on his intestine-guts at the end of EB.

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but that sound at least slightly confirms the theory of Claus, or something/someone, originally turning into Giygas, or something of the sort, in the original Mother 3 script. Great find!

sprite Twili

• ghostofstarman
          • foppy
          • mafia
          The train music is definitely not in the game, and the same goes for the Underwater Morning and the Giygas sounds.
          I liked the fact that you called the last track Giygasm. Laughing

As for the Factory, I'd recently discovered that music myself; and I must say, it sounds like something from Halo.

sprite RedSnifit

So, the Barren Factory is in the game and is playable without using codes, but not in the music selector thing? :/
            Are there any more like that?

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
            • !Merch Museum
            Yeah, there are lots of songs like that.

Anyway, I rigged the sound player to make it easier for me to find new/hidden stuff. So far I've found a whole bunch of awesome stuff that's not used in the game. Also, all of the game's sound effects are here, so I've been leaving my emulator on .wav record as I go through most of them. People are always asking for certain sounds, so it might be useful and/or entertaining.

Here are some examples so far. Still got 1500 entries to go through Shocked

The beginning of this reminds me of Star Wars music

Different version of the Pokey competition music

sprite Tead

I really like that "Star Wars" one. Almost sounds like it could have been a song for the ending.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
              • !Merch Museum
              Since so many people have been requesting it for some reason

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
              • !Merch Museum
              Found an unused voice clip that says "Are wa nan da?" which means "What's that?" in English.

I'm not sure what character was meant to say this. It sounds like it was meant to be a kid though, so my guess is Lucas (wouldn't make sense for Flint, Kumatora, Boney, or Duster at least).

Attachments:

sprite Yorkshire Tea

My hacking experience is somewhat limited, and that's a bit of an understatement, but I'm extremely keen to see what unused stuff is lurking in the ROM. How exactly do I go about changing the memory entry? I'm guessing using the Memory Viewer in VBA isn't the way to go about it, since I've tried that but to no avail. Please be gentle.

sprite psirocker

Tomato wrote on Sat, 02 February 2008 13:38
                  The Chicken Dance???

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                  • !Merch Museum
                  Here's an easier way to do it, using a cheat code.

Enter 201B910 for the address, and then for the value, put any value from 0 to about 2000 (I don't know where it stops). This will make the first track on the Sound Player play the song you indicated. Also, it's important that you have the other options selected as shown in this pic. (Where it says 111, that's where you put your own number)

Same as before, here's the list of songs that are already in the sound player, so go ahead and skip these ones.

http://tomato.fobby.net/junk/m3mus/sound_entries.txt

I've got most of the first ones documented, there's a lot of wind and water and fire and other such things early on.

?t=getfile&id=41373&private=0

Attachments:

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                  • !Merch Museum
                  I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think this ever got used in M3 Shocked

• Logographer
                  • fangamerHCW
                  • poe
                  • fanvatar3
                  • dragon
                  • Game Swag
                  I found a variation of the love theme, at 1966 I believe.

http://www.dcmsoftware.net/files/private/M3_Love.mp3

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                  • !Merch Museum
                  Here's a neat one.

Attachments:

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                  • !Merch Museum
                  This is a good nightmare inducing one Razz

Attachments:

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                  • !Merch Museum
                  OK, I think I've gone through them all, but not with a fine tooth comb. I got tons of mp3s and wavs to upload, which I'll do later, most of them are just sound effects for sound effects people though.

I did find this a while back though, might as well toss it in here too.

Attachments:

sprite hyruleboy

The trainish and and "Star wars" ones are awesome.
                    That Love theme one is awesome too.
                    This is the end of my time here, I bid any man or woman who is not against me farewell, that we may meet again in better times. Steam shall be where I may be met by these people.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                    • !Merch Museum
                    http://tomato.fobby.net/junk/m3mus/

Ton of stuff in here, mostly sound effects. So if you're someone who wants the various battle instrument sounds, this is for you. There's a LOT of it though, beware!

I didn't get all the sound effects though, I didn't record the menu sounds and other stuff around there.

sprite Krast

Leave your sanity at the door

• donor2
                    • artistorm
                    Tomato wrote on Sat, 02 February 2008 18:41

It almost sounds like a voice in the background saying "Luka." Could just be that I'm just hearing things, however.

Edit: huh, didn't show the attachment. Whatever.

sprite Tead

Tomato wrote on Sat, 02 February 2008 15:37
                      Here's a neat one.

Isn't that just a part of the song when Boney had to go get Duster?

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                      • !Merch Museum
                      No, it's different. And the Boney song is in the sound player (I forget what #), so you can see/hear for yourself.

sprite Benpc91

Tomato wrote on Sat, 02 February 2008 15:21
                        Since so many people have been requesting it for some reason (the ringtone)

Now if only my phone let me set MP3s as ringtones. I could play them, but I can't set them. Only MIDIs are allowed for my phone.

I remember trying to do a sound dump once, and stopped because I saw how large it was going to be. 2GB, I believe.

sprite Tead

Tomato wrote on Sat, 02 February 2008 18:44
                          No, it's different. And the Boney song is in the sound player (I forget what #), so you can see/hear for yourself.

I wasn't clear, sorry. ^^; I meant that it sounds like that song without the melody.

sprite Vengeance

I'm downloading these in the morining assuming I can use the computer...

sprite handish2000

• fangamerHCP
                            • dragon
                            • Numbers Badge
                            • EarthBound Central
                            B'gawd, I love that... um, sad sounding Pigmask theme.

sprite jlhgomez

Tomato wrote on Sat, 02 February 2008 17:41

''Hey.. Lucas... Hey.. Lucas..''

IT'S THE ORIGINAL FINNAL BATTLE MUSIC FOR CLAUS-GIYGAS Surprised

sprite Husky_Washu

A marching attack!

Whoa dude that M3_F3...my immediate thought was "ZOMG CLAUS-->MASKED MAN CUTSCENE" i.e. with the unused sprites that people dug up. But then again it could be any Chimera-related thing or even not but still.

Thanks for showing us these, Mato! I love the two with the instruments and also of the enemy's attacks. <3
                                …and then I found twenty bucks.

sprite jlhgomez

Tomato wrote on Sat, 02 February 2008 15:12
                                  Found an unused voice clip that says "Are wa nan da?" which means "What's that?" in English.

I'm not sure what character was meant to say this. It sounds like it was meant to be a kid though, so my guess is Lucas (wouldn't make sense for Flint, Kumatora, Boney, or Duster at least).

That sounds when you use the arrow thing that turns the enemy.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                                  • !Merch Museum
                                  Really? I've never used it, so if so, that's cool Smile

And that means there's another clip we gotta translate Shocked

DoseiSan

Let's get freaking DANGEROUS.

• plo
                                  • fanvatar3
                                  • fangamerHCP
                                  • EarthBound Central
                                  • Game Swag
                                  I know it's just speculation, but... Claus-Gigyas scene music? http://www.sendspace.com/file/gfihe7

Pretty much the two tracks put together, unedited except that I had to loop the breathing and make it a little louder for it to be heard.
                                  In another time, In another world…
                                  Another knight enters the Tower of Druaga

sprite Action 52

I wonder if there's a New Age Retro Hippie BGM in the data, even tough I doubt about it Razz

sprite psirocker

DoseiSan wrote on Sun, 03 February 2008 12:20
                                      I know it's just speculation, but... Claus-Gigyas scene music? http://www.sendspace.com/file/gfihe7

Pretty much the two tracks put together, unedited except that I had to loop the breathing and make it a little louder for it to be heard.

The Claus/Giygas thing was the Masked Man's music.

DoseiSan

• plo
                                      • fanvatar3
                                      • fangamerHCP
                                      • EarthBound Central
                                      • Game Swag
                                      That was a hacked video with the sprites added in and music dubbed over. We really don't know what the actual scene's music was.

sprite psirocker

Oh, really???

But we tried it!

DoseiSan

• plo
                                        • fanvatar3
                                        • fangamerHCP
                                        • EarthBound Central
                                        • Game Swag
                                        I know we did. We did it too. The BGM is that of whatever enemy you're really fighting, not the sprites hacked in.

And by "hacked" I mean it was edited in from different parts of data, not fake.

sprite charademaru

That's the sound effect that plays when you use the arrow item to make enemies turn around. I think it was translated as the "Made-U-Look"?

sprite Meta Warp

• EarthBound Central
                                          charademaru wrote on Sun, 03 February 2008 19:50

That's the sound effect that plays when you use the arrow item to make enemies turn around. I think it was translated as the "Made-U-Look"?

Now that I think of it. There was an item that did have the effect of a sound clip. ... Though in all my times playing MOTHER3 I only got such an effect once.

GimeC

Vampire Grade BEDGTABLE

• patrick
                                          • tofu
                                          • pasta
                                          • DINO RAMPAGE!
                                          Meta Warp wrote on Sun, 03 February 2008 22:17
                                          charademaru wrote on Sun, 03 February 2008 19:50

Now that I think of it. There was an item that did have the effect of a sound clip. ... Though in all my times playing MOTHER3 I only got such an effect once.

Haha. If that's it, that's so awesome.

I really dig the "neat" one and the star wars sounding one.

sprite Kine

• starmansuper
                                          • DINO RAMPAGE!
                                          • artspot
                                          Just a note, M3 0A7 is Beyond Teri Forest, and M3 18C is Really, WELCOME! with a fade in. I'm guessing they must've been used somewhere else, though for it to be in the data? But I think you wanted to be sure no songs were already in the sound player.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
                                          • !Merch Museum
                                          Yeah, a couple of them I dumped because they weren't in the sound player and would be good to have on the site at some point. Others I just dumped just in case or for whatever reason.

sprite DronePod

Shoot, wrong topic.

sprite Sarahsuke

The "Star Wars" music sounds like it could go along with
                                              Reveal Spoiler
                                              It has a somewhat melancholy feel to it.

sprite Action 52

Talking about the star wars one, it sounds alot like the one that plays during the cast near the part with the Pigmasks. (I don't think saying a song plays during the ending is spoiling, my bad if so :/

sprite Sonden

Sarahsuke wrote on Sun, 17 February 2008 04:04
                                                  The "Star Wars" music sounds like it could go along with
                                                  Reveal Spoiler
                                                  It has a somewhat melancholy feel to it.

I agree with you on that. Also,
                                                  Reveal Spoiler

sprite Kine

• starmansuper
                                                  • DINO RAMPAGE!
                                                  • artspot
                                                  Actually, I forgot to mention that the "Giygas breathing" sound could have actually come from the Ultimate Chimera. I remember reading someone saying Draco, and I was thinking UC but forgot to write it.

An example of it's usage could've been in the Chpt 7 lab, but even if that were true, the stomping and Pigmask squealing is all the more humourous.

I have to say, as much as I remember the unused tunes, I've never went back to the factory to hear that variation of Tragic Reconstruction. It's a good one, and really haunting.

I wish I could hack, I'd help get some more of these. Sunshine Forest of the future is probably in there somewhere, and I know there's a song that plays around the Ultimate Chimera in Chpt 7 that mimics a heartbeat. I would actually be even more intrigued to hear the volcanic version of Gentle Rain, if it's still in the coding.

Edit: I forgot that its either been done or mostly done already. Nevermind.

sprite steveman

Maybe the Star Wars-ish music was to be used

with an "sad ending" to cope with the "happy ending", as seen with one of the sprites?

“Well, red usually means danger. Or beef, if it’s a bouillon cube.”