Mr. Saturn sprite I was just thinking... what if Earthbound WASN'T rated?

sprite SirVenom

Hear me out...

Awhile ago Eedracon created a thread showing that Nintendo of America recognizes Mother 3 as Earthbound 3. He also said later in the thread that if you call customer service, they refer to the games as "Earthbound, Earthbound 2 and Earthbound 3.". I personally have confirmed this with an email response from customer service.

Now, my point is this: What if they REALLY rated Earthbound 0?

It isn't entirely likely, but an interesting subject to debate over... so, um... debate!

Instant water — Just add water!

sprite EBer

• mafia

It would be crazy.

sprite Jatopian

only wishes to be psychic

• dragon
    • fanvatar1

Wait, how could they refer to anything as EarthBound 3, if EarthBound is the second of the three?

sprite MikeDCray

^ Because here in the US the whole series is called EarthBound by NoA, not Mother.

Hello. My name is eXcaliber, and this is my sword, Arthur.
      —————————————————————————
      Forget about “All your base are belong to us”, my favorite messed up translation is “I have no something” from Mr. Saturn in EB.

Jamis

• fanvatar1
      • robotmafia
      • dragon
      • donor2
      SirVenom wrote on Mon, 02 June 2008 01:28
      Nintendo of America recognizes Mother 3 as Earthbound 3
      NOA recognizes MOTHER 3? :p Anyway, I was going to say the ESRB site said it was the SNES one, but then I remembered the only system it says is Wii. Hmmm... it could be! That'd be insane.

sprite MikeDCray

Think about it. If they're plan is to release the whole series here, why not start from the beginning? First game on NES for VC first, Then second on SNES for VC, then, 3rd on, DS maybe?

Forget about “All your base are belong to us”, my favorite messed up translation is “I have no something” from Mr. Saturn in EB.

Jamis

• fanvatar1
        • robotmafia
        • dragon
        • donor2

You think we could call Nintendo and ask if it was the NES or SNES one that was rated? I mean, if only for another reason to call.

sprite SirVenom

Jamis wrote on Mon, 02 June 2008 03:28
          SirVenom wrote on Mon, 02 June 2008 01:28
          Nintendo of America recognizes Mother 3 as Earthbound 3
          NOA recognizes MOTHER 3? :p Anyway, I was going to say the ESRB site said it was the SNES one, but then I remembered the only system it says is Wii. Hmmm... it could be! That'd be insane.
          Lol, it does seem insane that they acknowledge its existence I would love to see the original EB on Wii. I like Mother 2 the best (reflective of the current tagline on the forum), but I think that releasing Mother 1 would be a great start.

Plus, bear in mind that Mother 1 isn't even in Japan yet, right?

@Jamis: I think that everyone in customer service is very uninformed. For example, I called about the keyboard functionality on the Wii when it was discovered (that is, it was thrown in an update but removed later). The guy had NO idea what I was talking about, so he kept me on the line while he asked his manager. HE had no idea either. They wouldn't know which one was rated

Although, one of the admins might have better contacts there than we do.

Oh, one more thing... notice that the ESRB rating has no content descriptors... many people seem to think that Mother 2 should have a higher rating than it was given, and this would explain it.

SaturnStorm

An unusual blend of herbs and spices

• donor5
          • Fanart of the Week
          • Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
          • artspot
          • Grrrrreat OP!
          • SMCon 2011
          • FOTM (Fanfic) (June 2012)
          • Holiday Funfest 2012 3rd Place

Done and done.

I think you might be onto something, Venom. I don't know if it'll help but how was Super Mario Brothers 2 (Lost levels) rated for VC? What name did that come under? That could very well be key.

My Tumblr, my Twitter, and Friend Code 1032-2183-3483
          FullCircleFridays
          ToyBoxOn hiatus

sprite SirVenom

SaturnStorm wrote on Mon, 02 June 2008 13:15
            Done and done.

I think you might be onto something, Venom. I don't know if it'll help but how was Super Mario Brothers 2 (Lost levels) rated for VC? What name did that come under? That could very well be key.

Hmmm, that is a good point.... I wonder if there is a way to find out?

Super Mario Brothers 2 returns no results on ESRB.... Hmmm...

Update: I looked it up, it is Super Mario Brothers Bros.: The Lost Levels. No "2".

Now I will try to find out if it was named differently when it was rated.

Update 2: The Wayback Machine on archive.org isn't working right now... drat. I will check later.

By the way, does anyone know when it it was released on the VC?

SaturnStorm

• donor5
            • Fanart of the Week
            • artspot
            • Grrrrreat OP!
            • SMCon 2011

Now now you didn't need to quote me, I'd not long posted.

Anyway I looked it up as well, and its rated as Lost Levels, even though it was only called that in Super Mario All Stars. Otherwise it was just Super Mario Brothers 2.

That is key. Even in the VC game its called 'Super Mario Brothers 2' rather than 'Lost Levels'. But to keep the theme they called it the latter name in description, in rating, and all that jazz.

So you could be right -- EarthBound may not refer to the second game after all.

EDIT: Got it, Wikipedia to the rescue!

For the US, it was released on VC 1st October 2007.

FullCircleFridays
            ToyBoxOn hiatus

sprite SirVenom

Ah, yeah sorry. I have been using forums for years, I don't know why I am having trouble here

Back on subject... This could be important for the Mother series as a whole in America if it is the NES version. I am crossing my fingers on this one!

Note to self: No quoting posts directly above. NO double posts period. Natch

Ah, nice. When Archive is back up, I will check before the release date.

sprite PaperSpock

Would Mother 1 be good for us or not? Could the high degree of difficulty hurt it, and prevent further release?

sprite SirVenom

PaperSpock wrote on Mon, 02 June 2008 14:06
                  Would Mother 1 be good for us or not? Could the high degree of difficulty hurt it, and prevent further release?
                  I have just started playing it awhile ago... it isn't too difficult, but the high encounter rate can be annoying.

All in all, though, I think it is easier than other RPGs on the VC, such as Phantasy Star II.

But, it is very possible that if it doesn't sell well we are doomed. That is why we, as a community, should do all we can to promote it.

sprite MikeDCray

I know this is WAY off topic, like, as off topic as anything can be, but, I'm a good boy when it comes to forums . I don't quote the person above me and if 2 days later I have something else to add and no one has said anything since the last time I did I edit, not double post. I'm an occasionally self-braggy goody-2-faces.

PS: Have you ever spelled something so totally wrong that even the spell check doesn't know what you're after?

Jamis

• fanvatar1
                    • robotmafia
                    • dragon
                    • donor2

PaperSpock: Well, since MOTHER is #2 in NP's poll, we might not have to worry so much, but like Venom said, we'll still probably have to promote it like crazy just to be sure it sells. You know, gifting it if you have extra money, telling friends to buy it, passing out fliers at game stores, etc. Although, that goes for whether its MOTHER 1 or MOTHER 2; just do what you can to help the series and it should be fine.

sprite Greenzsx87

The sub-urban zombie.

• donor2
                    MikeDCray wrote on Mon, 02 June 2008 14:46
                    I know this is WAY off topic, like, as off topic as anything can be, but, I'm a good boy when it comes to forums . I don't quote the person above me and if 2 days later I have something else to add and no one has said anything since the last time I did I edit, not double post. I'm an occasionally self-braggy goody-2-faces.

PS: Have you ever spelled something so totally wrong that even the spell check doesn't know what you're after?

Well hello Mr. fancy pants... do you want a cookie for your efforts?

Smells like pup.
                    Twit @Czarsaturn

SaturnStorm

• donor5
                    • Fanart of the Week
                    • artspot
                    • Grrrrreat OP!
                    • SMCon 2011

- gives DCray a cookie

If the game actually is MOTHER rather than EarthBound then it could be said they're going to try building it from the roots and see how things fly. Either that or they want the success of MOTHER, who we haven't been fighting for nearly as hard, to be the base for the release of the other games. If thats the case, then they want this to be unbiased. By unashamedly flagging down everyone and telling them, it could hurt us in the end, since they suddenly don't have an unbiased system again.

If you think about it, people who aren't a fan of the series can go two ways: They can think "Okay what is this game?" and play it, or decide "nah." This is just how things are. But when we're fighting for the game causes beyond the scope of NoA (as in praising it to high heaven all across the net and media), 'nah' becomes "I'm not playing that the fans are weird and force it down my throat" and people who do give it a try will likely do so under our expectations rather than their own, which chances are it won't live up to. This hurts the game, and the likely profit that stems from that. If EarthBound (zero) gets high numbers without our fighting, then Nintendo will see that the numbers aren't forced and will likely release the other games. But if we create bias, it could be more troublesome.

FullCircleFridays
                    ToyBoxOn hiatus

sprite SirVenom

Agh! I almost clicked "Quote" That is a VERY good point, Saturn. But, I will still gift this to people who haven't been introduced to the series.

sprite MikeDCray

YAY! A tasty cookie!

I agree that we should not try to force the series on people, it'll make everyone hate us and the series. Forcing includes gifting it to people that have already said they don't want it, or even haven't said yet weather or not they do. Also, If I had 2 Wiis, I'd gift it to myself TWICE! That's how insane I am! MWAHAHAHAHA!

sprite Pimpshi

• poe
                        • EarthBound Central

Saturn Storm, your point makes sense. And it's a scary thought: we as a community have really pushed for Earthbound more than Mother, and the games have a somewhat different style. I recently convinced about 5 of my friends to play Earthbound, and they absolutely adore the game. However, I'd almost put money on them thinking the exact opposite of Mother. It's a good, good game if you're willing to really play it, but that willingness is often born from a love of the series, usually starting with Earthbound (or so I fear).

If NoA takes Earthbound out of the picture temporarily and tests the marketing waters with Mother, how many people will honestly buy it, push through the high battle frequency and difficulty, and enjoy it enough to buy the sequel? Smash Bros fans who don't know of Ness's/Lucas's background could be easily disappointed as well.

It just seems like a much rougher path to take, and it could be the wrong way to reintroduce the series.

“No matter how wonderful a seed may be, it’s still nothing until it’s turned into a flower or fruit or what have you. You can’t say anything for sure until it’s at least started to show its bud. It could wither and die while it’s growing, after all.”

-Shigesato Itoi

sprite EarthBoundRules

Ya, I didn't really like Mother at all, but I LOVE EarthBound. Also, I think it's possible that they rated Mother because when EarthBound first came out because I believe it was called "Earth Bound" on the ERSB site. Strange, isn't it? That's another thing to look into.

sprite Vengeance

if we do get Earth Bound it will be an import of the original game Nintendo isn't stupid enough to release an unreleased English revised ROM (I got Po'd when they cancelled Starfox 2 back in '95) so anyone agree that we will get the japanese version of Earth Bound?

sprite luna124

This is a high possibility. Something I actually thought about as well. Especially considering that the SNES version of EB is actually Earth Bound on the ESRB site. Either they fixed it (now that the game is actualy EarthBound without the space) or its Mother ...

I personally would love to have Mother on VC. I have been trying to play it on the computer and I just can't get into it. I like the game so far (just got ana) but using the keyboard just makes my fingers hurt. (I know I could get a controller)

I am also an optimist. I know it sounds far fetched, but what if this "big secret" coming out at E3 is EarthBound remade as a wii game as EarthBound 2 or some catchy name to show it was remastered like EarthBound Wii-mastered (ok so not so lame). Possibly then they would put Mother on the VC and call it EarthBound. Release it a week or 2 before hand to get people geared up for the super EB event coming to wii.

Ok so I'm dreaming!

sprite YoshiAngemon

Strange, Maybe the guys at Nintendo might clear some things up in a future issue of Nintendo Power Magazine, or maybe at the E3, next month.

sprite SirVenom

I went ahead and noted the possibility on the Earthbound and Mother 1 articles on Wikipedia. I expect them to be edited (not taken out, improved... my encyclopedic writing isn't very high quality), but I just had to put it in.

sprite gBev

MikeDCray wrote on Mon, 02 June 2008 15:46

Why did you even put this here?

Anyway, I really doubt they would put EarthBound Zero before EarthBound. Actually, it's almost impossible. Remember that the EarthBound Zero rom is not a released Nintendo cartriage. It's a never-released prototype. Plus, EarthBound beat EarthBound Zero in the NP VC poll.

The EB Zero Remake and Treasure Hunting in the Woodlands
                                    Yeah but I’m still banning gBev at the slightest provacation. - Falcon24

SaturnStorm

• donor5
                                    • Fanart of the Week
                                    • artspot
                                    • Grrrrreat OP!
                                    • SMCon 2011

gBev: It makes sense in context with how the rest of the topic was going at the time.

Nintendo wouldn't call MOTHER EarthBound zero, simply because that's the fan-name for it. It'll either be EarthBound (which is where this speculation comes in) or Earth Bound, which leads into EarthBound, but the latter case isn't likely because it'll cause too much confusion.

FullCircleFridays
                                    ToyBoxOn hiatus

sprite SirVenom

On top of what Saturn said, we will probably be forced to pay an extra 100 points for it as an "Import Title"

sprite Mitch

Wait... So, as I understand, three NES EarthBound prototypes currently exist. So... what if NoA doesn't have one anymore? I mean, once the game was officially cancelled, there would be no point to keep any of them. One got out, so why not the other two? If this is true, Nintendo would have to translate the entire game AGAIN. Please prove this wrong. NOW.

This space is available for rent.

sprite Tuppyluver1

I would laugh if they just ripped a ROM offline and changed a few things. :lol:

But yeah, they probably kept at least ONE. I'm sure they have like a safe for prototypes at NOA/NCL.

sprite SirVenom

I think they keep the ROM, not the cartridges. If they had to make copies from cartridges, they wouldn't produce the games at near the speed they did.

SaturnStorm

• donor5
                                            • Fanart of the Week
                                            • artspot
                                            • Grrrrreat OP!
                                            • SMCon 2011

They likely have versions in some way or another, due to GBA's MOTHER resembling EB0 more than the NES MOTHER.

FullCircleFridays
                                            ToyBoxOn hiatus

sprite Krisan Thyme

gBev wrote on Wed, 04 June 2008 17:31
                                              Anyway, I really doubt they would put EarthBound Zero before EarthBound. Actually, it's almost impossible. Remember that the EarthBound Zero rom is not a released Nintendo cartriage. It's a never-released prototype. Plus, EarthBound beat EarthBound Zero in the NP VC poll.

It isn't a prototype, actually. The game was - for all intents and purposes - completely finished. As I recall, they even had a manual setup and ready to be printed.. the only thing that stopped its release was marketing. So yes, it is an unreleased game that much is true - but it is a finished game all the same. There is really no reason they couldn't release it now.. in fact, it'd be funny because after all these years they could finally make a profit off of it. (probably not the profit they hoped for back when they were translating it.. but still.)

And Mother 2 beating Mother 1 in the polls really doesn't mean much. It was just that, a poll, nothing more. You can't place a lot of stock in the exact results, even if it is a good indicator of what to expect sometimes. (Plus there is no indication that they can't release both, and it makes a lot more sense to release them in chronological order in that case anyway.)

sprite gBev

I understand what you're saying, I just think that they'd most likely release EarthBound before EarthBound Zero.

The EB Zero Remake and Treasure Hunting in the Woodlands
                                                Yeah but I’m still banning gBev at the slightest provacation. - Falcon24

sprite SirVenom

True, but I like to toss around the possibility

• poe
                                                  • EarthBound Central
                                                  • Beary Best Friend
                                                  • fanvatar4

The Earth Bound NES cart was finished? Then how come some enemies had their names all weird? Like "PseudoZombi", without spaces and missing a letter.

SaturnStorm

• donor5
                                                  • Fanart of the Week
                                                  • artspot
                                                  • Grrrrreat OP!
                                                  • SMCon 2011

Because there's only so much space for them to put in a name, much like I imagine they have the same problem with Pokemon.

FullCircleFridays
                                                  ToyBoxOn hiatus

sprite The Ultimate Chimera

I'm not so sure what to think of this...you might think that they wouldn't take a risk with a sequel for EarthBound since it had such poor sales. They might try to revive the most known part of the series (EARTHBOUND!) and THEN come out with Mother 1.

Darn right.