- What is this?
- A contest where fans submit halloween-themed, EarthBound-related art, music, writing, etc.
- What are the prizes?
- Figurines by Meeellla, T-shirts and pin sets, store vouchers, avatars, ranks, & badges
- What?s the deadline?
- Deadline: Nov 11, 2008 @ 11:59 PM EST (Midnight)
- (fanfics, articles, comics, poems...)
- (pencils, pens, markers, paints, sculptures...)
- (3D renders, fantography, photoshopped stuff, tablet art, flukes...)
- (music, video, animations, games...)
There will be a First, Second and Third prize plus one Exceptional Entry prize. The First Place winner in Halloweeniest will take home a Mani-Mani Statue Figurine made by Meeellla, plus an Avatar. The First Place winners in Most Unusual and Earthboundalicious will each recieve a $10 Store Voucher. Each Second Place winner will receive a Travel Pin set designed by Jon Kay plus a Rank. Each Third Place winner will receive an Invisiguy Forum Badge, as will all other winning entrants. One Exceptional Entry will recieve a $10 Store Voucher.
- For the submissions which give off the best Halloween vibe -- whether it reminds us of Threed, or trick or treating in our local neighborhood, or even if it just scares the crap out of us. Example: Meeellla's Ghost of Starman or Mad-Duck-Falls-Down's Zombies in the Tent.
- Most Unusual
- For the most creative, unusual submissions which stray from the norm or make us go "bwaaaahahah that's awesome". Example: Radiation's Story of a Soldier or OU818's Twins? [M3 Spoiler]
- Most EarthBoundalicious
- For the submissions that feel the most EarthBoundy. Example: Loki213's Ghost Party [M3 Spoiler] or SaturnStorm's Moonside.
- Exceptional Entry
- For the submission that doesn't necessarily fit into any category, but is blisteringly brilliant, becomes an iconic image, or that for no discernable reason everybody loves.
- For the submitters who ooze raw talent. Example: Elf Kitty's Forgotten Chaos.
- For submitters who obviously spent lots of time on their funfest submission(s) (this will NOT be judged on quantity!) Example: Phantasmagoric Descent by Klobber or The Haunted House by NeoPaula.
- For the submitters who got heart. Example: PoeTrader's Sparkly Smelly Ghost.
There will be a First, Second and Third prize plus one Exceptional Entry prize. Each First Place winner will take home a Ghost of Saturn Figurine made by Meeellla, plus an Avatar.Each Second Place winner will receive a T-Shirt Featuring the Halloween Funfest 2008 Logo designed by Jon Kay plus a Rank. Each Third Place winner will recieve a Travel Pin set designed by Jon Kay.
Entries will be judged according to the personal taste of the judges, and based loosely on the guidelines found in the 'Awards' section. If an entry deserves to win first place for half the categories, it will. But, while an entry may be recognized for multiple awards, please note that no submitter may win more than one prize of the same type! For example, a submitter may win a Ghost of Saturn and a Mani-Mani Figurine, but he can't win two Ghosts of Saturn or two Mani-Mani Figurines.
In the event that a submitter wins multiple awards, the prizes will 'cascade' - the First Place prize will go to the Second Place Winner, the Second Place prize will go to the Third Place Winner, and the Third Place prize will be awarded to another entrant.
One judge has been assigned to each category. The overall judging will be a collaboration between the judges and any staffers who didn't make an entry in the funfest.
Ghost of Saturn Figurine
Boo! Very topical and very spooky, these Ghost of Saturn figurines, made by Meeella, will be greatly sought after. Give them a good home.
How To Get: Win First Place in any of the Overall Awards (Skill, Labor, Love).
3 Ghosts of Saturn will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide reidman with an address to send the figurine to, and you might not get it for a few weeks.
T-Shirt Featuring the Halloween Funfest 2008 Logo
Your only chance to own one of these rare T-shirts featuring the 2008 Halloween Funfest logo designed by Jon Kay.
How To Get: Win Second Place in any of the Overall Awards (Skill, Labor, Love).
3 T-shirts will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide reidman with an address to send the T-shirt to, and you might not get it for a few weeks.
A set of Pins designed by Jon Kay.
How To Get: Win Third Place in any of the Overall Awards (Skill, Labor, Love) or Second Place in any of the Main Category awards (Handart, Compart, Audioviz, Writing)
15 pin sets will be given out (3 per category) -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide reidman with an address to send it to, and you might not get it for a few weeks!
Mani-Mani Statue Figurine
A Mani-Mani Statue figurine, hand-cast in resin and then hand-painted by Camille Young.
How To Get: Win First Place in Halloweeniest in any of of the 4 Categories (Handart, Compart, Audioviz, Writing).
4 Mani-Mani Statue figurines will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide reidman with an address to send the figurine to, and you might not get it for a few weeks/months.
Sm. Net Forum Avatar
The ability to sport an avatar on the Starmen.net forums. Note that this is just the ability to have one: you'll have to either make your own or request one to be made for you in the forum's Avatar Factory.
How To Get: Win First Place in any SubCategory (Halloweeniest, Most Unusual, Most EarthBoundalicious, Skill, Labor, Love).
15 avatars will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide EB_Girl with an image to use that follows the general guidelines found in said Avatar Factory thread.
Sm. Net Forum Rank
A custom line of text under the username of forum posts.
How To Get: Win Second Place in any SubCategory (Halloweeniest, Most Unusual, Most EarthBoundalicious, Skill, Labor, Love).
15 ranks will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide EB_Girl with the text to use as your personal rank.
$10 Store Voucher
A $10 Gift Voucher to spend on any item of your choice in the Fangamer Store.
How To Get: Win Exceptional Entry or First Place in Most Unusual or EarthBoundalicious in the 4 Main Categories (Handart, Compart, Audioviz, Writing).
12 vouchers will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to PM reidman to get your Voucher code.
An Invisiguy sprite badge (tacked onto your name in the forum)
How To Get: Win any position in any Category (Halloweeniest, Most Unusual, Most EarthBoundalicious, Skill, Labor, Love).
Flashing Surfer Dude Badge
A Halloween Funfest decay badge (tacked onto your name in the forum) that will disappear once the Holiday Funfest 2008 starts in early December.
How To Get: Submit something worthwhile to the funfest! Note that you have to put some effort into your entry -- we won't give you a badge for a haiku you wrote in 5 seconds ;)
- October 6, 2008
- November 11, 2008
- What is it?
- The Funfest is a relatively ancient Starmen.Net tradition dating back to 1999. It's pretty much just a submission-fest. People send halloween-themed EarthBound (or MOTHER) stuff into the site, we post it, sometimes there's breakdancing -- good times are had.
- What's the point?
- The goal here is to have some fun. Without doing anything at all, you can enjoy checking out some of the great stuff that the creative minds of EarthBound fans come up with. If you want to flex some creative/artistic muscle, then enter something! You can spend 5 minutes on it, or you can spend a month on it.
Since this is Starmen.Net's Halloween funfest, there are only two requirements - it should have something to do with MOTHER / EarthBound (or Starmen.Net, at least), and it should have some kind of relation to Halloween or the 'harvest' season of fall -- pumpkins, trick or treating, ghosts, colorful leafs, zombies, haunted mansions, etc. If you need some ideas, you can check out the 2007 Halloween Funfest.
We get pretty much everything - the occasional Fanfic, tons of Fanart, too many Flukes, not nearly enough Fanimations, and once in a while even a Fan Game.
Submissions: You can submit as many entries as you want. But submitting a million entries won't get you anywhere unless at least one of them is very good, so put some thought and effort into it!
There's no limitation to your entry's filesize, but if it's too huge, you probably won't be able to upload it to Starmen.Net without some issues. In that case, you can stick it up on any site (we might recommend Dropsend) and send a PM to Sebastian to tell him where to get it.
Content: Obviously, your entry shouldn't contain anything inappropriate for a site that has young visitors.
Prizes: You can only win one of each type of prize. Please note that we will probably try to spread the prizes out so that only the really ridiculously excellent entrants end up winning more than one prize.