- What is this?
- A contest where fans submit holiday-themed, EarthBound/MOTHER-related art, music, writing, etc.
- What are the prizes?
- Ornaments by Meeellla, T-shirts and pin sets, store vouchers, avatars, ranks, & badges
- What's the deadline?
- Deadline: 15 Jan 2009 @ 11:59 PM EST (Midnight)
- January 19, 2009:
- 1 Writing, 2 AudioViz, and 1 Compart entries added.
- January 17, 2009:
- 2 Writing, 1 AudioViz, 2 Handart, and 3 Compart entries added.
- January 16, 2009:
- 4 Writing, 4 Handart, and 4 Compart entries added.
- January 15, 2009:
- 3 Writing, 2 AudioViz, 3 Handart, and 4 Compart entries added.
- (fanfics, articles, comics*, poems...)
- (pencils, pens, markers, paints, sculptures...)
- (3D renders, fantography, digital art, flukes...)
- (music, video, animations, games...)
There will be a First, Second and Third prize plus one Exceptional Entry prize. The First Place winner in the Holiday Cheer, Unusual, and EarthBoundalicious will take home a Starman Ornament made by Meeellla, plus an Avatar. Each Second Place winner will receive a Travel Pin set plus a Rank. Each Third Place winner will receive a Razor and a Lipstick Forum Badge, as will all other winning entrants. One Exceptional Entry will recieve a $10 Store Voucher.
- Most Holiday Cheer
- For the submissions which give off the best embodiment of the seasonal spirit. This can be an homage to a holiday celebrations, the heart of a family, or even a representation of the wintery season. Example: white-sesame-seed's Mother 3 Ornaments or UnlimtiedLumpia's A Minor Holiday Scuffle.
- Most Unusual
- For the submissions that stray far from the norm with a most impressive execution. Creativity shines like a holy star here. Sebastian's William Fakespeare's A Midwinter Night's Christmas Eve or Wasuremono's Green Christmas Peril!
- Most EarthBoundalicious
- For the submissions that explode with EarthBound or MOTHER lovin'. Example: P-RO's Dungeon Holiday or slytherinface's Happy Holiday.
- Exceptional Entry
- For the submission that either displays a balance of the three main themes or stands out above the others as an awe-striking outlier.
- For the submitters who display masteries in their mediums. Example: ardwick_of_onett's The Minch Who Stole Christmas.
- For submitters who work long into the night on their submissions (this will NOT be judged on quantity!). Example: kenisu3000's MOTHER Christmas comic.
- For the submitters who have heart. Example: pandapapers's merry christmas, MOTHER.
There will be a First, Second and Third prize. Each First Place winner will take home a Giygas Ornament made by Meeellla, plus an Avatar. Each Second Place winner will receive a T-Shirt Featuring the Holiday Funfest 2008 Logo designed by Jon Kay plus a Rank. Each Third Place winner will recieve a Travel Pin set. All winners here will also receive a Razor and a Lipstick Forum Badge.
Entries will be judged according to the personal taste of the judges and based loosely on the guidelines found in the 'Awards' section. Each entry can win only one prize. If our judges nominate a single entry for more than one award, only the higher-ranked of the two will be given. The other rankings will be "cascaded down" as well to fit in as many different winners as possible.
One judge has been assigned to each category. The overall judging will be a collaboration between the Overall Judge, the Category Judges, and any staffers who didn't make an entry in the funfest.
The holidays undoubtedly make you feel g...o...o...d, and so will these Giygas Ornaments made by Camille Young! These quality decorations are festive all year round and will be keepsakes you'll always remember this Funfest by!
How To Get: Win First Place in any of the Overall Awards (Skill, Labor, Love).
3 Giygas Ornaments will be given out; so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide reidman with an address to send the ornament to, and you might not get it for a few weeks.
A molded masterpiece from the hands of Mrs. Camille Young. These Starmen are waiting to hang around your residence, and they make superb tree decorations to boot!
How To Get: Win First Place in any of the 4 Categories (Most Holiday Cheer, Most Unusual, and Most EarthBoundalicious in all 4 categories of Handart, Compart, Audioviz, Writing).
12 Starmen Ornaments will be given out; so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide reidman with an address to send the ornament to, and you might not get it for a few weeks/months.
T-Shirt Featuring the Holiday Funfest 2008 Logo
Your only chance to own one of these rare T-shirts featuring the 2008 Holiday Funfest logo designed by Jon Kay.
How To Get: Win Second Place in any of the Overall Awards (Skill, Labor, Love).
3 T-shirts will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide reidman with an address to send the T-shirt to, and you might not get it for a few weeks.
$10 Store Voucher
A $10 Gift Voucher to spend on any item of your choice in the Fangamer Store.
How To Get: Win Exceptional Entry in any of the 4 Main Categories (Handart, Compart, Audioviz, Writing).
4 vouchers will be given out; so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to PM reidman to get your Voucher code.
A set of Pins designed for the Fangamer Store.
How To Get: Win Third Place in any of the Overall Awards (Skill, Labor, Love) or Second Place in any of the Main Category awards (Handart, Compart, Audioviz, Writing)
15 pin sets will be given out (3 per category) -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide reidman with an address to send them to, and you might not get them for a few weeks!
Sm. Net Forum Avatar
The ability to sport an avatar on the Fangamer forums. Note that this is just the ability to have one: you'll have to either make your own or request one to be made for you in the forum's Avatar Factory.
How To Get: Win First Place for any Category or Overall (Most Holiday Cheer, Most Unusual, Most EarthBoundalicious, Skill, Labor, Love).
15 avatars will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide Falcon24 with an image to use that follows the general guidelines found in said Avatar Factory thread.
Sm. Net Forum Rank
A custom line of text under the username of forum posts.
How To Get: Win Second Place for any Category or Overall (Most Holiday Cheer, Most Unusual, Most EarthBoundalicious, Skill, Labor, Love).
15 ranks will be given out -- so, if you win one, please note that you'll be required to provide Falcon24 with the text to use as your personal rank.
Razor and Lipstick Badge
A Razor and Lipstick sprite badge (tacked onto your name in the forum)
How To Get: Win any position in any Category (Most Holiday Cheer, Most Unusual, Most EarthBoundalicious, Skill, Labor, Love).
Magypsy Shell Badge (decaying)
A Holiday Funfest decay badge (tacked onto your name in the forum) that will disappear around March 2009.
How To Get: Submit something worthwhile to the funfest! Note that you have to put some effort into your entry: we won't give you a badge for a haiku you wrote in 5 seconds ;)
- December 5, 2008
- January 15, 2008
- What is it?
- The Funfest is a relatively ancient Starmen.Net tradition dating back to 1999. It's pretty much just a submission-fest. People send holiday-themed EarthBound (or MOTHER) stuff into the site, we post it, sometimes there're global meltdowns -- good times are had.
- What's the point?
- The goal here is to have some fun. I'll stress that again: have fun. Without doing anything at all, you can enjoy checking out some of the great stuff that the creative minds of EarthBound fans come up with. If you want to flex some creative/artistic muscle, then enter something! You can spend 15 minutes on it, or you can spend a month on it.
Since this is Starmen.Net's Holiday funfest, there are only two requirements - it should have something to do with MOTHER / EarthBound (or Starmen.Net, at least), and it should have some kind of relation to the Holidays or the snowy season of winter -- snowball fights, getting warm by the fire, celebrating a major holiday, flying kangaroos, etc. If you need some ideas, you can check out the 2007 Holiday Funfest.
We get pretty much everything - the occasional Fanfic, tons of Fanart, too many Flukes, not nearly enough Fanimations, and once in a while even a Fan Game.
Submissions: You can submit as many entries as you want, but submitting a million entries won't get you anywhere unless at least one of them is very good, so put some thought and effort into it!
There's no limitation to your entry's filesize, but if it's too huge, you probably won't be able to upload it to Starmen.Net without some issues. In that case, you can stick it up on any site (we might recommend Dropsend) and send a PM to Artemis251 to tell him where to get it.
Content: Obviously, your entry shouldn't contain anything inappropriate for a site that has young visitors.
Prizes: You can only win one of each type of prize. Please note that we will probably try to spread the prizes out so that only the really ridiculously excellent entrants end up winning more than one prize.