Mr. Saturn sprite PK Tube'N : Funneling Nerd Rage Since 2am Yesterday.

sprite handish2000

• fangamerHCP
  • dragon
  • Numbers Badge
  • EarthBound Central

I'm doing the chosen four vs. NoA in a PK Hackstravaganza. It's probably going to be terrible but just so no one stealsssss itttt. Loved the A... those guys... parody :lol:

sprite snigwel

I assume it`s been brought up before and promptly brushed aside with the power of insider-info and whatnot, but i figured i might as well make sure the possibility has been considered of earthbound being taken out of brawl, as well as out of the virtual console, being itself indicative of the long-rumored ds compilation?  I know nintendo is far from needing logic to justify its actions, but if they where to indeed have such a reason for pulling the title, might it not be that they don`t want their virtual console and ds releases competing?

The Losar

Floor Fro-Grammer

• Fanart of the Week
    • DINO RAMPAGE!

That would be exactly NOT a reason to take the demo out of Brawl. A demo is intended to give people a taste of a game, to make them want to get the whole thing. Having that demo in Brawl would seem to be leading up to some sort of release of the game--why give the people a taste of something they can't have? However, since EB was not available as a demo, there is nothing to follow up. Or, in other words, they intentionally pulled the EB demo because they knew it wouldn't be made available to North America in any form.

Anthadd

Luna is not my goddess.

• hardtrivia4
    • boxes
    • nerd
    • artistorm
    • walkthrough

Also: why didn't they pull the MOTHER 2 Masterpiece out of Japanese Brawl, if the DS compilation is the reason why it was pulled out of English Brawl?

sprite Rash

Brash.

• donor3

Marth's game is Japanese only. That's why it wasn't in the US masterpieces. However, Earthbound WAS released in the U.S. and its characters have been put into the Smash games. Not only that, but Earthbound 64 was probably going to come here as well, if it was ever completed.

Keep in mind that 2/3 of the Mother series is officially Japanese only. I guess maybe Nintendo didn't want to tease people with Earthbound as a masterpiece when there was already a sequel to it that likely wasn't going to see the light of day. Maybe Nintendo just considered that, if 2/3 of the series is Japanese only, then why not just retcon Earthbound as a U.S. game altogether? Hence the reason why both Fire Emblem and Earthbound are not in the U.S. masterpieces; they're both being treated fully as Japanese games.

I really hope that's not the reason though. Earthbound was released here. That's it. The game is officially localized and has built up a fanbase here. It should be an official release.

That said, Earthbound, as far as trophies and stickers and general series (even New Pork City) was concerned, was called "Earthbound" and not "Mother 2" in Super Smash Brother Brawl. That in itself leaves a glimmer of hope.

But also, take into consideration that Mother 1+2 is already available in Japan. Maybe that's yet another excuse for Nintendo to not release Earthbound on the VC; because it'll create a redundancy, and Nintendo would rather keep on making money from the GBA game than from putting it on VC for twenty dollars less, in the same vein as why Nintendo might not be releasing the SNES version of Yoshi's Island, when they already have the GBA itereation and the DS sequel. If a game doesn't go to Japanese VC, it typically won't be available in the Americas either. It's just another thing to be worried about, because we can't tell what Nintendo is thinking.

Enter the Garden of Madness

sprite snigwel

Well, of course with NOA's track record i don't think the explanation i offered is a likely one, just something that should be considered. That said, i was under the (possibly completely mistaken) impression that the virtual console games where offered as a taste of what could then be purchased through the virtual console, so a game not planned to be released in such a way wouldn't make the cut ( unless there are other games which can't be purchased via virtual console, the only version i've personally played yet is a friend's japanese copy, so i'm not familiar with what's there myself)?

And, while again unlikely, if such a wonder-compilation where to be released i could definitely see it being an american only thing as all of the games have already had a japanese release in the last few years.

sprite G.Wicks

• donor2

Nintendo just wants to spite EarthBound fans. I'm really sick of it.

Assumptions are the termites of relationships.
      ~Henry Winkler

sprite Symphony1125

Allright, so I'm a little confused. (I'm new here so bear with me)

I read on this site that EB is coming out for the VC. It was confirmed by credible sources who cannot be named, etc. And now I see this because supposedly NOA will not be releasing EB on the VC...

So which one is it?

sprite mydjsobad

seller of cool stuff

Rash wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 06:51
          But also, take into consideration that Mother 1+2 is already available in Japan. Maybe that's yet another excuse for Nintendo to not release Earthbound on the VC; because it'll create a redundancy, and Nintendo would rather keep on making money from the GBA game than from putting it on VC for twenty dollars less, in the same vein as why Nintendo might not be releasing the SNES version of Yoshi's Island, when they already have the GBA itereation and the DS sequel. If a game doesn't go to Japanese VC, it typically won't be available in the Americas either. It's just another thing to be worried about, because we can't tell what Nintendo is thinking.

This wouldn't make sense because the Zelda NES and SNES games are all available on the GBA (and are still in print) yet those titles are still on the Virtual Console already. I don't think Nintendo truly has a release strategy for the VC as much as they say they do. It seems to me like they just put a bunch of game names on a wall and throw darts every friday to decide which game comes out monday. In fact I can kind of picture it given the 1 and 2 game release weeks we've had recently.

throws a dart employee: "Double Dragon, that could be cool" throws another dart employee 2: "you need to work on your aim, you didn't hit anything this time" throws last dart employee: "Nothing again, should I re-throw?" employee 2: "nah, screw it. Too much effort."

As for those of you who brought up the whole "not appealing to the hardcore fans" thing. That doesn't make sense at all because we've gotten Sin & Punishment, Battle Lode Runner and a few other previously Japan exclusive titles that no "casual gamer" will have ever heard of. I just really think Nintendo doesn't have a plan for the VC aside from "release one to 3 games a week". Capcom recently made a statement about how Bionic Commando hasn't been released yet because it's "up to nintendo". That being said, I'm pretty sure most every game for the consoles on the VC are available, Nintendo is just letting it trickle out or something. When you consider that they have thousands of games to cycle through though, you'd figure they'd pump stuff out just a bit faster than they have been.

sprite joltmasta

i wouldnt mind participating for this contest. problem is no ideas to reach out to the general public comes to mind. well, atleast without embaressing myself completely

EDIT: Btw, fun little game i play with speeches. Try to count how many times Reid says "uhh" and "umm". this game is a little easier when speeches are done in foreign languages.

Anthadd

Luna is not my goddess.

• hardtrivia4
            • boxes
            • nerd
            • artistorm
            • walkthrough
            Rash wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 04:51
            then why not just retcon Earthbound as a U.S. game altogether?
            You know, as far as Smash Bros. goes, I think that this is already the case.

sprite lewahi

• donor2
            • eb0hack
            • fangamerHCP

I have figured out what I will do for this and will hopefully film tomorrow and release Wednesday. Man haven't made an EB video in almost a year! :o

I was once Prince Poo on a radio show you might have tuned in to.
            I now make video games for 3 Halves Games. Let’s be friends!

sprite reidman

Symphony1125 wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 09:20
              Allright, so I'm a little confused. (I'm new here so bear with me)

I read on this site that EB is coming out for the VC. It was confirmed by credible sources who cannot be named, etc. And now I see this because supposedly NOA will not be releasing EB on the VC...

So which one is it?

Ever since the VC was first announced, EB has been an anticipated title. Iwata himself mentioned EarthBound by name during his presentation, iirc. Ever since then, we've had multiple sources telling us EarthBound was being brought to the VC. It was only recently that we learned the title is in jeopardy.

We know for sure that the game was originally scheduled to be released in summer of 2007. Remember when the Siege started in June? It was timed to coincide with two events: E3 (in early July) and EB's release on the VC (we were expecting it in late July).

We've had 'marketing' materials prepped for EB on VC since June 07. Remember Plo's Crazy for EarthBound video he posted not long ago? That was originally intended to be released as a promo video for EB on VC. Tomato even rebuilt the EBFGP from the ground up to center around the VC release. For those who are curious, yes, the reason the EBFGP was delayed over and over is because every week we told ourselves "it will be released on the VC soon, so lets hold off on the EBFGP for one more week".

When the game wasn't released (we started losing hope at the beginning of September), we remained hopeful -- we assumed, as did everyone else, that NoA couldn't possibly be so foolish as to let all of the Dojo updates and Brawl's release date fly by without seizing the opportunity to reintroduce fans to EB. Of course, Brawl came and went, and we found out that the EB demo was removed from Masterpieces, which kinda confirmed our suspicions.

So here we are now. If we seize this opportunity, maybe EB has a chance, maybe it doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong and they are intent on releasing it -- but I don't think so, and neither does my source.

sprite Hiroshi

I honestly don't mind when we get games from long-standing series - that I personally have enjoyed - like Phantasy Star (VC needs more REAL RPGs, instead of Zelda wanna-bes). In fact, I was overjoyed when one of the games I specifically asked for in the Poll Response to Nintendo Power was released. A little gem called River City Ransom, which every Wii owner with access to the VC store should have bought, since it's just so damn awesome.

But yeah, the Virtual Console was one of the main reasons I got the Wii. I was expecting there to be a bunch of classic games from the old consoles I loved with all my heart and would finally get to play again. Well, the VC's been out for over a year now, and I've got like... 7 games, one of which was a gift I didn't even ask for. I don't mind some of the games they have up and wouldn't mind trying them, but spending money on something I can't return and say "I didn't like it" really isn't a viable option for me these days with money so damn tight.

That all said, I'm really quite sad that the VC has been handled as poorly as it has been. We do regularilly get junk titles, which wouldn't be that big of a deal, if we actually got decent ones in there more often. Instead of releasing a crapload of stupid games for a month, then releasing two nice games the next week, and then another month or so of crap... they should release 1 good game with the throw-away games, so that way people find more selections to the games besides the titles thrown in to increase the library.

Of course, since the console selection has been increasing, I'm really, really hoping they'll add the Game Boy Classic/Colour games to the library. The Sega Master System was a surprise, but a pleasent one. I just hope they get more good games on it, like Phantasy Star 1, which I've NEVER gotten to finish, because I could never get my hands on a freaking copy of it, and it's one of the only games in the series not to be re-released a million times.

sprite FullmetalChild

Has it ever occured to Nintendo that maybe part of the reason Earthbound did so badly is because back then the game cost $70.00 and the advertising slogan was "This game STINKS!!!" No wonder they lost money. Most parents are not willing to buy their kid a $70.00 game that "stinks." Now that word has gotten out that this game is good, and the fact SNES games only cost 8 bucks on the VC, they have nothing to lose from it. In fact, they have a lot to gain and nothing to lose. They're just punishing themselves with this stupidity.

Also, with crap VC games, some of the recently released ones are actually at least somwhat good. (River City Ransom, Kirby 64, etc.)

Me want earthbound!!!

Never pet a Castform on a summer day.

sprite Olimar_91

My entry is finally done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOAgeA0276M

I hope everyone likes it, took awhile to draw all the frames =P

sprite Rebel40000

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I decided to join to simply respond to this topic. To make one thing perfectly clear, I have <u>never</u> played EarthBound or MOTHER 1 and 3. In fact, I never even really heard of it until I played Super Smash Bros. I just recently got Brawl and played as Lucas and I must say, with the inclusion of an actual storyline in the game I suddenly am very interested in playing this series. Which is why I am shocked to find that Nintendo of America is apparently against releasing EB in any format, because if (nay, when) they release it on the Virtual Console you can bet that I'll be downloading it.

I think NoA should give this series another chance rather than cast it aside. And that is why I decided to speak here, to merely convey this message, from a person who would like to embrace these games but is unable to due to unknown reasons. Also I felt it would be good to show support and that there are people outside of this community who would love to get to know the series better.

Hope you all don't mind comments from the peanut gallery.

sprite reidman

That's really awesome, Rebel, thanks for posting.

sprite kevindubrow

Olimar_91 wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 18:55

Hey man, I really liked yours! Very good job!

3DS Friend Code: 1461-6197-6226

sprite Rash

Brash.

• donor3
                          reidman wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 20:09
                          That's really awesome, Rebel, thanks for posting.
                          See? Rebel is probably like a lot of people who've played Smash Brothers. That game is pretty much free advertising for 95% of what Nintendo does. How could people NOT be interested in Earthbound after Brawl (Nintendo's best selling game in America, no doubt), being the third game in the series, showcased Earthbound characters/stages for the third time?

Heck, I'm sure a lot of people got interested in Fire Emblem after Marth and Roy appeared in Smash Brothers Melee, and are probably thankful that Nintendo was willing to release games from that series here in the U.S.

Nintendo, by not releasing Earthbound, are just losing potential sales that have been built up both from peoples' newfound interest in the series (after appearing in Brawl) and from fans who began to love the series during the last ten years. If Nintendo is truly afraid of releasing a game based on sales from 13 years ago, then they are both ignorant and stupid. First of all, they have nothing to lose by releasing Earthbound on the VC. Second, there's no point in comparing sales way back then to sales now; it's a different market, and there's both potential for newcomers and longtime fans to buy the game.

There are no excuses for not releasing Earthbound on the VC. No justification for it.

sprite Katon

Space Waifu

• artspot
                          • plo
                          • donor2
                          • rc5
                          • rcquality
                          • poe
                          • ch2
                          • Who Arted 7 Wins
                          Rebel40000 wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 20:02
                          Hello, I'm new to this forum and I decided to join to simply respond to this topic. To make one thing perfectly clear, I have <u>never</u> played EarthBound or MOTHER 1 and 3. In fact, I never even really heard of it until I played Super Smash Bros. I just recently got Brawl and played as Lucas and I must say, with the inclusion of an actual storyline in the game I suddenly am very interested in playing this series. Which is why I am shocked to find that Nintendo of America is apparently against releasing EB in any format, because if (nay, when) they release it on the Virtual Console you can bet that I'll be downloading it.

I think NoA should give this series another chance rather than cast it aside. And that is why I decided to speak here, to merely convey this message, from a person who would like to embrace these games but is unable to due to unknown reasons. Also I felt it would be good to show support and that there are people outside of this community who would love to get to know the series better.

Hope you all don't mind comments from the peanut gallery.

Coolest new guy ever, already.

sprite WarpstarCardia

I think the whole "it sound poorly in the U.S." is a pretty poor excuse when it comes to the VC. All Nintendo has to do is take a very small amount of data, put it on a server and make 8$ for every person who buys it. Even if only 10 people buy it, it's still roughly $80 profit. They're spending next to nothing to distribute the game, there's no manufacturing costs.

Whatever reason NoA can throw at us is complete and utter bull crap.

sprite Beck

• ebff-10-love
                            • Halloween Funfest 3rd Place

I actually thought I had a decent chance of winning. Then the users with thousands of subscribers appeared...

sprite joltmasta

you know what i think would make a great seige? getting big name VG new sources to throw hardball questions at Reggie. Stuff like this doesn't seem to make any sense and an explanation from the source must be made. And since i'm so confident a decent one can't be made i think interviewers could break him if asked enough... ... ... ... I'll go back to my corner now.

sprite Fillerman

huttah! I have officially made a fool out of myself! For Science!

Or rather, Earthbound!

yay me. I'm going to assume I can baseless plug my vid link here? if not, feel free to slap me silly mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqNqwLBAbmU

EBsessor

Devotee

• dragon
                                • boxes
                                • donor5
                                • walkthrough
                                • starmansuper
                                • fangamerHCP
                                • foppy
                                • dabr

I really can't help but wonder if Nintendo is doing this just to prove a point. "We need to show the world that we're not so easily swayed. We'll use these Earthbound fans as an example of our excellent ability to remain unwavered under pressure." My step-dad was fired by his own father whom he was working for despite doing a great job, just to prove the point to his other employees that he wasn't afraid to fire anybody, even his own son. It just came to mind as somewhat similar to Nintendo's ridiculous stagnant nature.

I put a bun in the oven and out came Giygas.

sprite EBP

• EarthBound Central
                                - The Reckoning

STEAM

sprite Hiroshi

EBsessor wrote on Tue, 29 April 2008 02:30
                                  I really can't help but wonder if Nintendo is doing this just to prove a point. "We need to show the world that we're not so easily swayed. We'll use these Earthbound fans as an example of our excellent ability to remain unwavered under pressure." My step-dad was fired by his own father whom he was working for despite doing a great job, just to prove the point to his other employees that he wasn't afraid to fire anybody, even his own son. It just came to mind as somewhat similar to Nintendo's ridiculous stagnant nature.

I sincerely hope he rehired him, because firing one of your best employees "to prove a point" is actually shooting yourself in the foot. It's like saying "I'm so thoughtless, I'll fire one of our better employees because I can't think things through."

But yeah as others have said, if Nintendo is trying to prove that point... I fail to see why they need to prove it at all. I mean, they rarely listen to the fans as it is, why do they need to prove it yet again with some massive-money-loss, and very hair-brained I might add, scheme like with-holding a much sought after game from the public when they stand to lose nothing yet gain much?

sprite Olimar_91

kevindubrow wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 22:18
                                    Olimar_91 wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 18:55

Hey man, I really liked yours! Very good job!

Thanks!

Oh, and I sent this news story to Gonintendo, and it got posted, there. So even more people are aware of it now =P

sprite Aka_Kiba

Are selective comments also being submitted to PK Tube'n? It might help.

I love the smell of Pk Rockin in the morning.
                                      My Weekend Job
                                      Real Men Don’t Use Forks

sprite Raevmu

one day I'll be cool and I'll have a rank

• sitting frog
                                      • !Merch Museum

I made one too: Take a look. I made a longer one but deleted it because it sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=541F92zl2vE

sprite G.Wicks

• donor2
                                      reidman wrote on Sat, 26 April 2008 17:50
                                      We need more people who want EarthBound, because apparently tens of thousands of people aren't enough to catapult us over smash hits like Yoshi's Cookie and Columns III: Revenge of Columns.

Ugh. Every time I see the junk they're putting on the VC it just seems to add insult to injury. Yoshi's Cookie and even the game Yoshi are such boring games, and each columns game is exactly the same. Puyo Puyo 2, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's avalanche are all released on VC and they're all the same game as well, based off of the Puyo Puyo series (which is actually pretty good, but I don't think we need 3 of them instead of one Mother game). Blegh! Nintendo confuses me.

Assumptions are the termites of relationships.
                                      ~Henry Winkler

sprite Beck

• ebff-10-love

PKBlizzard is such a cheater. His/her video had around 1000 views early today and now the video has over 25000 views.

sprite reidman

Don't go getting all angry without proof. Also, take it to the Tube'N forum.

sprite Beck

• ebff-10-love

Yes, because you know how I stated that I was angry and that used all capital letters with an obscene amount of exclamation points.

sprite reidman

Sarcasm aside...

The Tube'N is really going well. We've got nearly 100 videos submitted already. Well, we've had many more than that, but I've had to remove a lot of them which were made prior to the contest, or which had nothing to do with EarthBound, heh.

Anyway, this level of participation is pretty amazing, considering that the contest has only been up for about a week. You guys are awesome, but remember the ultimate goal of this thing: to get people to talk about (or remember) EarthBound. Keep that in mind when making your videos!

sprite Hiroshi

You know, I have to admit... I didn't actually watch the Reid video until now. Because I knew I couldn't enter the contest, and just reading about it made me feel all "blaugh, it's like a cruel, horrible, tantalizing tease". But I was watching some of the really good fan-posted ones, and I ended up back at Reid's, so I thought, oh what the hell, I'll watch it. I'd never actually seen any of you guys up until now, besides picks, so that was actually pretty fun to watch. I loved when Plo whacked her and then they started fighting, that was unexpected and random. :p

But yeah, I have lots of ideas, it's just sad when you can't do anything with them. Kinda like a good number of my drawings which never turn out how I want them to...

Oh, and about the PkBlizzard entry Beck mentioned. I watched it, and I noted they said they basically spammed up a crapload of sites they visit. Isn't that in itself cheating? Or is that how you get more views? I don't understand how you cheat to get more views otherwise. o_O

sprite Beck

• ebff-10-love

You can use a page refresher or something similar to greatly increase views in a short amount of time.

sprite WastelandCoyote

Jocknerd

• Aces
                                            • SMCon 2011
                                            • April Fool's 2012 15-sigs
                                            • Chompy
                                            • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
                                            • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
                                            • The Sparkles
                                            • Radio PSI - 1 year
                                            • I believed in Smash
                                            • Temmie
                                            • Mafia MVP
                                            G.Wicks wrote on Thu, 01 May 2008 08:17
                                            Yoshi's Cookie and even the game Yoshi are such boring games
                                            Lies! They are classic puzzlers in the same vein as Tetris Attack and Bejeweled. Don't be hatin' on my puzzler roots.
                                            Baseball sure is a funny game.

sprite Rash

Brash.

• donor3

They need to bring Yoshi's Island to VC.

Hell, I'm surprised that they brought Yoshi's Story first.