Moneybox sprite Daily Progress Thread: Day 2

I hate frogs. That's why I dissect them.

sprite Kevin Williams

Fangamer Forum Administrator

[email protected]

How’d you do against Yakra’s threats? I fought a few more enemies than I usually do, so I was nicely leveled, and it only took a few X-strikes to bring him down.

One of the things I really like about the Cathedral is that it’s the first area where the enemies have more interesting entrances — Henches will jump over tables, roar into the screen with the Gate-opening sound, and one in particular likes to slide down the staircase banister. You start to get the feeling that it isn’t always as easy as just avoiding the enemies when you see them, and you might even want to fight them just to see how they’ll pile on. Very clever adaption of the grinding mechanic.

On the Arena front, my Smidge stalwartly refuses to change classes or learn techs, but he’s lucked his way into a couple of high-tier wins, earning me a Lightning (Bolt) Sword and a Porrean Beret. I’m not entirely convinced they were worth the time to get them (I used the reset trick to save money) but they’ll certainly give me a bit of a boost through the next few areas.

Baseball sure is a funny game.

• Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Nt4rift 5
  • RPPA Badge #1
  • EBFF 2011 Submitter
  • Ponsesy Participation
  • Who Arted - 37 Wins
  • PRC Above and Beyond
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • Writing Bootcamp '13
  • I believed in Smash
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Crafts 1
  • Buck's Birthday Badge Bonanza Bazinga
  • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
  • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !!!Halloween Funfest '16 Staff Helper
  • !Franklin Badge White

Today wasn’t so bad. Didn’t have much trouble against Yakra. He did his spine attack once on Lucca, but we had plenty of healing items and Frog has a healing tech.

I think the Cathedral exhibits why I like the way Chrono Trigger handles its battle system. The example that you pointed out with the Hench guy sliding down the staircase banister was really nice. Other little touches included the dining room where the monsters were just chilling out and taking a break. Rather than random battles, those enemies are there for a purpose i.e. assigned to guard this specific hallway or staircase. It really brings the dungeons to life.

I’ve been trying to get an answer to this but haven’t been successful, but what does the last challenge mean? “Allow yourself to get trapped on the final bridge and fight your way off.” I already finished so I can’t go back to it.

sprite penguinbound

oh god we started?

augh im behind

genetically related men before dubious personalitied women of the night

The Fool With Stars in Her Eyes

• Game Swag
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Ponsesy Participation
  • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Contests
  • The Sparkles
  • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2012 Single Participation
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • fanvatar4
  • ZAWA RRPS Loser
  • M25FF Participation Award
  • M25FF Funky Award
  • Summers Art Collab!
  • smash collab
  • Lucas Memorial Collab
  • Veteran's Day Casual Pokemon Participation
  • GURL POWAH
  • Lucas Collab
  • Sonic OC Don't STeal
  • Silver Mafia
  • fairy frog
  • Theoryfest Second Place
  • !Merch Museum
  • Temmie
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !Franklin Badge White
  • !!Cookie Cat
  • Campfire Tales Story Shared

Yes and I captured this glorious moment from yesterday to cherish forever

Attachments:

sprite Alxprit

• EarthBound Central
  • PSI Flash Beta
  • Game Swag
  • Ponsesy Participation

I totally didn’t know that elemental attacks in the Cathedral did like 150 damage, so I learned that. Woo!

Follow me on deviantART and tumblr!
I am a budding Let’s Player and my Youtube account is here.

sprite Spacemarine9

EDIT: Never mind, fixed.
I overgrinded a bit too much I think… Oh well.

Obligatory forum Irishman

still beautiful

Once upon a time I was the best and that never changed.

• donor4
  • Aviczar
  • Chompy
  • Reid is a Jinjo

I just got to the trial. Is it possible to NOT be voted guilty?

don’t

• Game Swag
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Ponsesy Participation
  • The Sparkles
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • fanvatar4
  • ZAWA RRPS Loser
  • M25FF Funky Award
  • Summers Art Collab!
  • smash collab
  • Lucas Memorial Collab
  • GURL POWAH
  • Lucas Collab
  • Sonic OC Don't STeal
  • Silver Mafia
  • fairy frog
  • !Merch Museum
  • Temmie
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !Franklin Badge White
  • !!Cookie Cat

Yeah there is
THE DUDE LIES
HE IS A SACK OF LIES
So, innocent or guilty you still get in big trouble with the man

sprite Spacemarine9

If you’re not guilty though, you get (some? One? I forget) Ethers.

Obligatory forum Irishman

• Game Swag
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Ponsesy Participation
  • The Sparkles
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • fanvatar4
  • ZAWA RRPS Loser
  • M25FF Funky Award
  • Summers Art Collab!
  • smash collab
  • Lucas Memorial Collab
  • GURL POWAH
  • Lucas Collab
  • Sonic OC Don't STeal
  • Silver Mafia
  • fairy frog
  • !Merch Museum
  • Temmie
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !Franklin Badge White
  • !!Cookie Cat

No, I’m pretty sure you’re sent to 3 Days Solitary Confinement if innocent, but the Chancellor will mess everything up on purpose

sprite Kevin Williams

[email protected]

Rune: in the last area before Yakra, if you run fast enough across the bridge, you don’t have to fight the Henchs or Naga-ettes. But you have to do some fancy footwork while they’re moving around. Maybe the challenge should’ve been “get across the bridge without getting trapped”? Ah, well, hindsight is 20/20.

Metc: well, ignoring the fact that we aren’t at the trial yet… ;D yeah, it’s possible to be found not guilty, but you have to lay the groundwork earlier in the game. You could go back and redo the beginning, but it’s not a super-big deal, unless you care about the few Ethers you’d get if you were innocent.

sprite General of Camilla's Army

• EarthBound Central
  • Game Swag
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Grrrrreat OP!

This was pretty easy GPP. I grinded Lucca up to Level 5 and got her techs learned. Did the same with Frog when he joined. Nothing else interesting, but Chrono Trigger has a great first dungeon. Even it’s easy, it’s still fun. Tomorrow, we deal with a corrupt justice system we helped create.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

• dragon
  • EarthBound Central
  • brimley
  • fun
  • Game Swag
  • fanvatar4
  • Ponsesy Participation
  • The Sparkles
  • sephylove
  • Reid is a Jinjo

I had a pretty long fight with Yakra and wasted a lot of tonics, mostly because my characters are severely underleveled. However, after beating him, my game was shut off before I got a chance to save, and I had to fight him again. For some reason, the second time I fought him only took about half as long as the first and only a few tonics were necessary. After that, I got to a stopping point and saved my game. I’m probably gonna do a bit of grinding before tomorrow’s GPP.

sprite thisismyname

Easy GPP. I didn’t do much in terms of grinding, which may or may not explain why Yakra felt a bit harder than usual. Nothing too hard that potions and spamming X-Slash/Fire Whirl can’t solve though

sprite _oMeGa_

I did pretty well. I explored a bit more than I usually would have and I think I found all of the secrets in the cathedral. I named Frog Slippy, after the single greatest video game character ever.
    Also, have this picture from yesterday’s GPP, because I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t belong in the fan submissions. I did that on a DSi, too, where it’s almost impossible to use Plo’s technique (spazzing out on the A button)

Attachments:

still beautiful

Once upon a time I was the best and that never changed.

• donor4
    • Aviczar
    • Chompy
    • Reid is a Jinjo

Sorry about that, SimonBob. I just like to play games at my own pace, and tbh, not much effort or time is spent on the first two GPPs, total. Also, I’m leaving tomorrow for Japan, so I want to get to wherever the GPP is by July 12. Any ideas where that is, or is it not planned out that far yet?

don’t

sprite Kevin Williams

[email protected]

Yeah, we’ll be up to the Ocean Palace by then.

sprite The Bat Fax

• Game Swag
    • Video Game Riddles Bronze
    • Key to the Back
    • Very Hot Winterfest Bronze

Just finished the gameplay point while watching Xfis. Nothing special, did the first and last challenges and overall the battles were pretty quick since I got Frono the lode sword before I did the timewarp.

sprite ohboy

• OF Prompt Writer
    • Writing Bootcamp 2011
    • EBFF 2011 Submitter
    • Writing Bootcamp '12
    • Writing Bootcamp '13
    • Monthly Writing Prompt Silver

This was a fairly routine playthrough, except that I made one cocky error in judgement. I went through and bought Crono new equipment inside of Porre’s marketplace, and all the equipment can later be found inside the Cathedral. Even if I sell the equipment, I still lost about 600 gold pieces or so. Oh, well, it’s an expensive lesson.

Other than that, not much. I went through all the battles, so my characters are around level 7, and Reagan and Connor (Crono and Lucca) both know their starting two techs. Not much else to note, except that I love how the chancellor can fit inside of a treasure chest. Poor man.

“The highest point of philosophy is to become wise and simple. This is the angelic life.” ~ St. Chrysostom

sprite penguinbound

I decided to use New Game+ since I hadn’t done so before. I kind of regret it now, since the beginning game is so overly broken it’s not funny. Oh well, I’m hoping for some kind of challenge later.

For now,

Beginning to Reuniting with Marle

• Boy(Crono) awakens.
    • Boy goes to the fair, and meets Girl(Marle)
    • Boy and Girl go to Nerd(Lucca) and Girl disappears.
    • Boy travels to the past
    • Boy sees Girl explode
    • Nerd arrives
    • Enter cathedral. Animal(Frog) arrives
    • Make my way to Yakra. Destroyed him with Luminaire(thanks new game +)
    • Animal has an emo moment and leaves the party
    • Girl reappears. Boy is swimming in female companions
    • Left castle. Saved

Also, I made it up the bridge without being trapped. Kind’ve easy actually. The minions at the top almost got me, but I gave ’em the slip.

genetically related men before dubious personalitied women of the night

Elobo

Shaolin Master Killer

• artspot
    • Fanart of the Week
    • Monthly Writing Prompt
    • fanvatar2
    • hfwinner09
    • EarthBound Central
    • ebff-10-love
    • ebff-10-awesome
    • ebff-10-gppwin
    • Who Arted 27 Wins
    • Pilotwing Flash Fic
    • AprilGroucho
    • Game Swag
    • April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
    • Reid is a Jinjo
    • smash collab
    • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Participation
    • Buck Fever and Dr. Hobo's Guessing Game ft Kid Icarus
    • GURL POWAH
    • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
    • Hobuck Game Guessing Game 2

Well, finally got a start on this and am ready for day 3. It was hard to get motivated to start playing because I’ve just come off another RPG and I’ve basically played through Chrono Trigger twice this year. The first time was on the SNES. I dropped the controller onto the eject button when I was saving to quit for the night. I was close to the end. The second time was when I picked up the DS version on the cheap, and I took in a lot of the bonus content as well.

But I think the imposed progress limits will keep it fresh due to a forced pace.

I spent more time at the Fair than I usually do. I won the 10 Points challenge twice and the 40 points challenge as well. I normally don’t do anything at the fair at this point! I’ve played this part so much that I usually just blitz it, aside from returning the cat and other good deeds. But I played the races a lot this time and rung the bell 3-4 times while the racers were racing. I got a bunch of silver points really quick, and didn’t need many tries in the tent.

So anyways, slowing down to enjoy that part was good. I decided to take the Fangamer route to and do everything negatively as well.

Cathedral was alright. It’s not so hard that you can’t just smash your way through. I did loot it of all its loot though. I avoided the enemies on the bridge and Yakra went down fast. Who would have ever suspected a Chancellor of being evil? Ha ha ha… Based on last night’s stream I also eavesdropped on the Chancellor. Wild. I don’t think I’ve ever done that tbh.

sprite Kevin Williams

[email protected]

Penguin: the point of New Game + is to get the bonus endings. Check the right telepod in Leene Square and you’ll see what I mean…

• Women's Small
    • AprilGroucho
    • donor4
    • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
    • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
    • Reid is a Jinjo
    • fanvatar2
    • Sky Family Reunion 2014
    • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
    • I believed in Smash
    • Doctor Hobo's Love Hotel
    • !Franklin Badge White

I’m playing on my New Game + file (which, I think is of an already New Game + file) simply because after all these years, I’ve never hit Level ** and would like to one day. I’ve tackled all those bonus endings on the SNES version and yes, Solo Chrono when inspecting the right telepod from the beginning… very satisfying.

WE GOT THE MEGATOME & WE ARE THE SMARTEST

sprite Kevin Williams

[email protected]

Even better once you’re level ** is putting Berserkers on three party members and unleashing them on Lavos >:D

• Women's Small
    • AprilGroucho
    • donor4
    • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
    • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
    • Reid is a Jinjo
    • fanvatar2
    • Sky Family Reunion 2014
    • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
    • I believed in Smash
    • Doctor Hobo's Love Hotel
    • !Franklin Badge White

Whoa, that sounds awesome. I think I’m also going try that one day!

Another satisfying moment: Being able to defeat a crucial boss that is normally unbeatable on a first run in a certain palace.

WE GOT THE MEGATOME & WE ARE THE SMARTEST