Moneybox sprite Daily Progress Thread: Day 10

WAR OF THE MAGUS

sprite Kevin Williams

Fangamer Forum Administrator

[email protected]

AAAAA MAGUS’ CASTLE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

…Sorry, I think I watched Losar’s gpp vid too long. Seriously funny stuff, guys.

So! Today is actually my favourite point, so I’m jealous as all heck that Charlie got to do it. Oh well, I get to do my second favourite part next week. This part has all of Frog’s insane character development, a sweet new weapon with a matching accessory, a crazy-big castle full of bosses and enemies and puzzles, and the epic battle with Magus himself. Sure, your gamer’s intuition is telling you it can’t be the end yet (you never got Ayla back in the party, after all) but plotwise it certainly feels like the culmination of all things, the natural progression leading you here since you originally learned of Lavos’ destruction in the future.

Personally, I like the SNES translation better. Glenn comes off as more subtle and dare-I-say sensitive, whereas in the remake they really bash you over the head with his outright squeamishness. Doesn’t quite seem to mesh with the daring swordsfrog we met back in the cathedral, does it? On the other hand, the DS gives us those great movie sequences — and you practically get to watch each one twice, once in SSJ ANIMES mode and then again with classic sprite animation. They both have positives, is what I’m sayin’. Also, Slash is sort of the representative characterization of each version: sloppy and joking on the SNES, far more grave on the DS. He still cuts a mean rug in both, of course.

Speculation about Flea can go in posts after mine. I ain’t goin’ near that one.

Ozzie is… well, he’s Ozzie. There’s no good way to explain him; he’s just that right combination of competent and useless to make him the perfect Square-Enix henchman. I mean, the guillotines on conveyors? Very intelligent. Dozens of holes in the floor? Brilliant. But then forgetting to account for opposition formation and personal placement in his own ice-shielded battle? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ah, well. Never mind, Ozzie, we’ll catch you later.

And then, Magus. I think everyone dies fighting him the first time. After all, they went so far as to add a non-standard game over (and if I just spoiled you, well, you’re either crazy-good or ultra-lucky.) And it’s nice that they didn’t go with the usual “barrier change, use a Scan spell to find his weakness” tactic. He hits you with lightning, you hit him with lightning. Really makes the character selection important, too. I like to go with Marle so I can use Haste, but it does limit my capable counterattacks. But then he completely switches it up, starts casting Magic Wall (faithful attackers have been lowering his magic defense with the Masamune, naturally) and then suddenly DARK MATTER whoops you’re dead! You were probably underleveled. And stupid. And ran out of Revive and Mid Tonic.

True Story: I went allllll the way back to San Dorino from the save point in Ozzie’s room just to restock my items so I could beat Magus the first time.

‘Course, nowadays all is ease and splendour and we get a wacky little future-imperfect scene with Marle telling Crono to get a haircut and get a real job. What, did all the monsters stop dropping random cash? A samurai’s gotta chop firewood now? Sheesh.

Baseball sure is a funny game.

sprite Spacemarine9

Nega Ozzie aaaaaa
Also, reenacting the intro with overleveled characters.

Attachments:

Obligatory forum Irishman

sprite rawpower

RAW_CAKE, GURUZETH DAWG

• donor3

Are you guys seriously overleveled? Because I’m playing it and I don’t know what half the spells you guys are talking about or looking at.

Anyway defeated Magus, he was p. tough but I managed to defeat him.

<a_bystander> We could fill her hoo-hah with coke.
PSN: raw_power7
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006934631

sprite Spacemarine9

I’m seriously overleveled alright. Very seriously. More serious than a lawyer

Obligatory forum Irishman

sprite Realn

• Game Swag
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011

Well this was the first game play point with entirely new areas to explore for me (half of the last one was new to me too, but whatever). Magus’ castle was a lot of fun. I went into that one room three times so I could see who would appear for Marle, Lucca, and Robo. And when Lucca appeared to torment Robo I laughed because I was expecting it to be one of his evil robot brothers or something.

So any way, my party for each major fight in the castle was Crono, Frog (of course), and Robo because I kept nearly dieing and I wanted his high health. Flea and Slash were both reasonably tough, but nothing excessive use of healing couldn’t help. Ozzie was starting to make me really mad with all the summoning monsters, running away, and dropping me down holes, but then I got to the fight with him and it was so great that all is forgiven.

Magus, I was woefully unprepared for. Apparently, twenty-five mid potions is not enough because I ran out at the end and had to spam Frog’s Heal and Robo’s healing move to survive all his Dark Mattering. Up until he started doing that I was good, but oh man that move hurts. I was insanely lucky not to have died, seen as this is my first time fighting Magus. But now I want to see that nonstandard game over! Curse my good fortune!

Where did everything go so smug

• PK Hack v2.0
  • Halloween Funfest 1st Place
  • Holiday Funfest 2012 1st Place
  • Holiday Funfest 2012 Overall Place
  • MOTHER2 Riddles 2 Wins
  • MOTHER1 Riddles 3 Wins
  • Translator Badge

To counter the extra leveling I did in the previous chapter, I skipped all non-mandatory enemy fights in this area, so Frog didn’t even have Heal by the time I reached the boss.

…and then suddenly DARK MATTER whoops you’re dead! You were probably underleveled. And stupid. And ran out of Revive and Mid Tonic.

Yeah, that pretty much describes me. I forgot how hard Magus is for low level games, and didn’t buy any extra mid tonics before coming in here. I certainly died to Magus multiple times before managing to win.

If they’re at full health, Frog and Crono could survive Dark Matter with 10 HP. So the HP drain from Geyser could actually mess me up. I tried using the barrier items found earlier in this dungeon, but they last for such a pathetically short amount of time.

I had to play this fight quite differently than I normally do. I had Robo with a speed belt on, acting as a dedicated healer the entire battle, as he was the only character I had that a group heal spell. 3 Heal Beams were just enough to top off my characters for the next Dark Matter. Other than that, it was just a matter of Crono repeatedly beating Magus in the face with his mop (and by that, I mean the X Strike dual tech).

sprite The Bat Fax

• Game Swag
  • Video Game Riddles Bronze
  • Key to the Back
  • Very Hot Winterfest Bronze

Raiding the place worked out alright. Fought just about all of the enemies and didn’t fall in any of Ozzie’s traps. Though that apparently made me miss out on a magic tab. =\ Magus was kind enough to never actually use any magic besides lightning and fire, so Frog’s lack of water wasn’t even apparent. Just kinda kicked his ass.

sprite ohboy

• OF Prompt Writer
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • EBFF 2011 Submitter
  • Writing Bootcamp '12
  • Writing Bootcamp '13
  • Monthly Writing Prompt Silver

I think that I was horribly overleveled, because Magus was very easy for me. Even special attack, Dark Matter, only halved my character’s health. Anyways, after a round of Marle castaing Haste on everybody, appropriate magic was cast on Magus, except fire, of course. After that, “X-Strike” was used over and over, which, in combination of being hasted and Marle using Cure as needed, made the battle very quick.

The castle was also pretty easy, mostly because I had Lightning 2. That, coupled with about 25 Mid Ethers that monsters had dropped, made it a very quick run-through. Yeah, I know, I’m losing the challenge. But, considering that I haven’t played the game in years, I didn’t bother with challenges, and figured I would just beat the game with as much leveling as I could muster.

I want to see the non-standard game over now too…

“The highest point of philosophy is to become wise and simple. This is the angelic life.” ~ St. Chrysostom

sprite Kevin Williams

Fangamer Forum Administrator

[email protected]

Actually, all that happens is Magus sweeps his cape up disdainfully at your fallen party, then turns around and raises his hands towards the altar again. As the screen begins to fade to black, the horrific screech of Lavos begins to rise…

But of course, when you discover that he only summoned Lavos, it becomes clear that if Magus had completed his ritual, Lavos would’ve owned his sorry gothic butt. No more Fiendlord, no more war — another example of CT’s history resolving itself even prior to your involvement.

Baseball sure is a funny game.

sprite Alxprit

• EarthBound Central
  • PSI Flash Beta
  • Game Swag
  • Ponsesy Participation

Great point, but I couldn’t do any challenges. That’s okay, though, because I had Marle in my party. It would have been so much better if Magus decided to be weak to Water so I could use Ice Water or Arc Impulse to rock out on him, but nooo. Got to use Spire instead, though, so that’s coo’.

I’m anxious for the next parts of the game; it’s when everything starts getting hard for real. FOR REAL.

Follow me on deviantART and tumblr!
I am a budding Let’s Player and my Youtube account is here.

sprite Greiv

Chrono Trigger is soooo soft. Because of Luminare. IT’S ABSOLUTE DESTRUCTION, SRSLI. Same with Flare, but Brono is the main character so it’s more badass, lol.